buying tools online

Eddie Kaz

Hi everyone.

I have ordered from many places online for woodworking tools.

leevalley, rockler, woodcraft. I was wondering where you shop online for power tools and accessories?

Eddie

Several places as one vendor will have a good price on one item and another will have better pricing on something else. My trick is to use their wish-lists and compile enough items to make the shipping make sense.

A few that have not been mentioned that I have had good luck with are: Heavydutytools, Toolking, Redmond and Sons and Toolsplus. And of course there is always Amazon, Grizzly and Wilke.

There isn't enough room to type them all. :type: :rofl:

WoodCraft, Wooden Memories.com, DowelMax, Woodpeck.com, Bob Marino Festool Store, Holbren, Hartville Tool, Suffolk Machinery Corp., The Utter Guys (steel City Tools), LeeWay Workshop -Home of the "Shark Guard.", Penn State Industries, stockroomsupply.com, micromark.com, highlandwoodworking.com

etc. etc. etc.

DT

Here’s a partial list:

Amazon
Bridge City Tool
Rockler
J&L Industrial
McFeely's
Lee Valley
Klingspor
Lie-Nielsen Toolworks
Woodworker's Hardware
Woodhaven
Blue Spruce Toolworks
Garrett Wade
Penn Tool (Machine Shop Stuff)
Woodworker's Supply
Woodcraft
Lathemaster Metalworking Tools (Machine Shop Stuff)
Hartville Tool

I'll throw this out there too. I have ordered a mortiser from amazon that was cracked and a dust collector that was scratched and had some minor bent metal. Amazon was quick to make things right. I guess what I'm saying is I have found that large tools shipped through the mail seem to get damaged so make certain they are properly packed.

Smaller stuff from many of those already listed. Bigger items I pick up either from local yard sales or go to Grizzly in Springfield, MO. One exception, my Terrco duplicator came by frieght truck. That was a hassle.

Hey Eddie - I'm a sucker for those crazy Amazon deals. There's a Woodcraft near us so I don't do online with them, but have gone with Rockler, Hartville, Holbren, Heavy Duty Tools (HDT), Grizzly, MLCS, Northern Tools, In-line Industries, and A & I Supply.

Last edited:
I buy from:

Amazon

Lee Valley

Rockler, mostly cabinet hardware.

Bridgewood, table saw

Sunhill, 8" jointer and Byrd head.

Hartville Tool

Fine Tool Journal, LN planes.

Lie Nelsen videos, and a couple planes and irons.

Hock Tools, plane iron and cap iron (chip breaker)

Japanese Tools, Shapton stones

Woodcraft

Grizzly

Anyone else that has what I want/need.

I checked back to see if anyone had mentiond McFeelys since I just placed an order with them. Sure enough, Rob and Bruce both listed them. They are helpful, have good products and ship really fast.

I've bought tools from a few different online places, but most of my online purchases come from Lee Valley and Amazon. Lee Valley is awesome, I can't recomend them enough.

I've also bought from Grizzly with good results as well as Spray Gun World/Tool Paradise. I was kinda worried about that company, but I was plesently surprised by their fast shipping and that everything got to my home in great condition.

My next couple purchases will go to Bob Marino for some Festools that I've been wanting then, probably Wilke.

There was one company that I didn't have a good experience with, but I can't say it was 100% their fault, though I do think that they could have been a little more helpful. Because of that, I will not mention their name at all.

Lee Valley on the other hand, was very helpful to me when they didn't need to be. If I could only recommend one store, it would be Lee Valley.

I've also bought from Grizzly with good results as well as Spray Gun World/Tool Paradise. I was kinda worried about that company, but I was plesently surprised by their fast shipping and that everything got to my home in great condition.

Oh yes-----I forgot about Spay Gun World. No wonder that I do not have any money left. Last year I bought a Sharpe T1 gun and a pressure pot set up from them. One of the tip sets was the wrong size and they sent out another one right away. It was wrong also so they fired me off another one and got it right this time. I was going to send them back the two sets that were wrong but they said to just keep them for the trouble that I had with my order. After this experience I would definitely purchase from them again.

I seldom actually buy anything on-line. In Canada, there is no tax advantage to do so. And, I have a Lee Valley store about a 15 minute drive from my house.

I almost always do my research on-line; then I either purchase the item in person or via phone and mail conversations.

The only place that I have bought tools online was Amazon. That was where I picked up my Delta 2 speed 13 in planer. Free Shipping on a 90 lb item ! :thumb: :thumb: They also threw in a DeWalt Corded Recip. Saw & Blades for Free!

note on the planer knives: oddly enough Lowes was actually cheaper for the Delta Knives about $28 to Amazon's about $40.

I live near Home Depot, Lowes, and Sears (10 min away). Harbor Freight Store is about 20 min away. I also am about 20-25 minutes from a Rockler Store. I get alot of stuff from them, but not online.

I have been checking out stuff on Amazon recently and it looks like they are trimming back on the Free Shipping :(

Last edited: