Staining Plywood

Man this is over my pay grade but I ain't complaining. Lol

Just way too happy to see you here again. Thanks Bud. Looks like them California folks and other dessert dwellers did a good job on that arm twisting. ;)

Love the tables but now I got a further question...

With all the grief that happens with the quality of thin veneered ply these days. Would it not be worth it to be using I dunno say BB ply and put ones own veneer down except rather than say thin store bought veneer what about a resaw slice of a board.

I mean at the end of the day this ply don't come cheap. And from what I see in your panels the veneer on the ply is not exactly continuous.

If one laminated a 1/8 slab of wood to a decent base surely that would be less headaches ?
One still has to deal with the edge just the way ply would require it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob asked: If one laminated a 1/8 slab of wood to a decent base surely that would be less headaches ?
One still has to deal with the edge just the way ply would require it.

after seeing glenns work i am leaning towards using solid wood more but in this case you would need to allow for movement and that enters into a whole bunch of other troubles or hurdles to deal with. i didnt want a grove in the shelf to collect dust. if it was solid wood you would have to have it hide in a dado or open to move with cracks..
if someone has a method to use solid wood in this piece with out dust cracks i am all ears.

Rob asked: If one laminated a 1/8 slab of wood to a decent base surely that would be less headaches ?
if someone has a method to use solid wood in this piece with out dust cracks i am all ears.

On similar projects, I've made the top with a center field of solid 1/16" (or less when I resaw it) veneer over cheap plywood like 3/4" Sandee ply, wrapped with solid wood. Same goes for the side panels, in which case I use 1/4" ply for the substrate. I've used a lot of commercial solid wood veneer which is typically about 1/40" thick and haven't had an issue sanding through it.