Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pairing Wine with Duck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pairing Wine with Duck

Here we go, my first post outside of the Intro forum. I recently landed my first sorta-real commission. After seeing my woodworking posts on Facebook, a coworker asked if I could come up with a stand of some sort for a taxidermy display. Her husband had gone on a bucket list duck hunting trip to Saint Paul Island (way out in the Bering Sea) and had four of them mounted in a museum style setting. The mount itself is pretty nice but the base left a lot to be desired:

Left: male and female Harlequin ducks. Right: male and female Long-tail ducks.
    Click for larger image.

The joinery is bad enough to make refinishing a poor option, so I decided to completely enclose it in the stand...and since they are wine enthusiasts, I came up with a design to make the stand multifuntional:

...and to put it in perspective:

Note: Yes, I know those are wood ducks in my model but the 3D library didn't have any others that would work!
    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Nice looking design Brett, I'm sure they will be happy with it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I agree with Darren. That looks like a great design. Looking forward to following along on the project.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep, Great design. The mount is interesting, but I agree, the wood on the original leaves a lot to be desired.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I like the design. Looks like a pretty ambitious project
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Just a little behind on documenting my progress but thanks on the positive feedback so far. I got everything roughed out, milled the rails and stiles to final size, and fitted most of the tenons to their mortises:

Just the two back rails to go before I start work on the panels.
    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Looking good I like the choice of wood too.
    cheers

Looking real good!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Well, dang! I forgot all about this thread and in the meantime...and a lot of meantime, at that...the project is done. Here's a sampling of progress pics taken over several months of weekend and evening work. All photos are clickable, by the way.

They picked it up a couple of weekends back and now it looks right at home. Not shown in the photos below, is the glass cover...since it wouldn't photograph well...and he likes the way it looks uncovered. The trim piece is removable, allowing the base to drop in, and the glass cover then fits within the trim. I had made MDF templates of the base and cover to check fit during construction and left some wiggle room for good measure. But still, I had small a nagging dread that they'd get it home and it wouldn't work out. But they report that it's a perfect fit and they're delighted with it. Relief.

Brett,. That is a fine looking piece of furniture. Love the wood and design. I do know I am not going to show it to my wine swilling friend.
    That could be a future project.
    David