Life in Tokyo....

The outer ring (eating area) of this 6 foot diameter table is actually two pieces. The joint is along veneer lines, and is virtually invisible, but I could not deliver it as a 6 foot donut (removable 3 foot lazy Susan in the center, removable base).

ChenTopDelivered.JPG

If your current table is hollow or crap wood, I would block it with solid pieces glued in place, and leave an access hole in the bottom to bolt it together. I used the countertop bolts to tie it together, but they did nothing for alignment (disappointing) and kept working loose, so I put blocks on the under side that I could screw together - that is what provided the final strength and alignment.

If the top is solid wood, after it is cut, you might use pocket-type screws across the joint in the bottom to tie it together.

If you have minor chip out of the veneer, I bet you could find a sharp hand plane to shrink the size of the table by a few hundredths of an inch beyond the blade kerf.

A nice contrasting wood like walnut would possibly enhance the look also. I think the center with holes and then create it so the customer can convert it back without the center board. Much like taking a leaf from a table. Only it is mechanically fastened either way.
I like the idea of putting it back together without glue, so that it could be taken apart again if needed. I think that the countertop connectors...
00s1220i2.jpg

... would be great, I'd certainly also add some dowels or even a spline for alignment.

Couldn't the veneer taped down & scored with a sharp utility knife & if your worried about the edges showing make the contrasting piece of wood with a little tapered lip to cover the edges of the veneer.
that would be the plan, make the cut line up on one side with the seam in the veneer, and the other side pre cut it with a sharp knife. and yeah tape too!
I also like the idea of the center contrasting strip that actually is slightly proud of the top, and would have just a bit of a lip to cover the cut edge.
I was also thinking a couple of power bars attached to under the table would be a good idea for plugging in anything that needs it, could buy one of them new power bars that also have USB plug ins.

The outer ring (eating area) of this 6 foot diameter table is actually two pieces. The joint is along veneer lines, and is virtually invisible, but I could not deliver it as a 6 foot donut (removable 3 foot lazy Susan in the center, removable base).

ChenTopDelivered.JPG

If your current table is hollow or crap wood, I would block it with solid pieces glued in place, and leave an access hole in the bottom to bolt it together. I used the countertop bolts to tie it together, but they did nothing for alignment (disappointing) and kept working loose, so I put blocks on the under side that I could screw together - that is what provided the final strength and alignment.

If the top is solid wood, after it is cut, you might use pocket-type screws across the joint in the bottom to tie it together.

If you have minor chip out of the veneer, I bet you could find a sharp hand plane to shrink the size of the table by a few hundredths of an inch beyond the blade kerf.
Beautiful work, as always Charlie!

Blocks might need to be done as well, I agree, but if they are done right, and they are under the table, I bet that would be just fine.

Cheers!

Blocks might need to be done as well, I agree, but if they are done right, and they are under the table, I bet that would be just fine.

You might even be able to integrate them into the power distribution design. That would add some appearance of intentionallity anyway :D

The conference tables at work have a 5-6" wide by 5-6" deep tray with a flip cover over it to hold the power and network, the flip cover has gaps on either side wide enough for the power cords to fit through. Common connectors (mostly laptop chargers, but also some usb cords) are left in there so you don't have to bring a cord to meetings, you just arrive and plug in - of course this works best when there are ~2 corporate laptops and 1-2 corporate phone connectors. The older rooms have ethernet connections in them, but a lot of the newer laptops don't have a direct ethernet hookup and the wireless network has gotten good enough its not really compelling anymore.

Unless there is a reason "not to" I think a proud 4 - 6" complimentary wood strip down the center would enhance the looks of that table.

If the owner accepts that you can cut it down the middle and not get ulcers. If there is some tear out, the proud centerpiece will cover it. The center piece would set, in contact with, the table top. In the middle of the table (and consequently in the middle of the strip) there could be an elevated 6" rectangular or circular disc that various wires could flow through. And Or 4 rectangular areas each with jacks for current technology in the sides...Technology changes and these blocks could have their technology updated to match it. This would be less expensive to do than to rewire the whole table top.

The above was not well written. However, I hope it will help get your own creative juices flowing.

Enjoy,
JimB

ps You sure come up with some interesting jobs.

At least you are working with wood.... my last boss's partner had a conference table in his house in Galveston that was almost 12' long, 4' wide and about 2" or 3" thick of solid marble set on 4" posts connected under the table with 2 or 3" rails... no idea of the weight or how they got it in or out of the house. The front steps was up about 10 steps and straight into the foyer, then had to make a 90 degree turn into his "conference" room. It was a huge house that was once an orphanage but had been converted to a private residence.

Well today was the day to cut the table in half, I had a list I checked it at least twice, but......

IMG_0805.JPG

... can you spot the missing component :doh:
Yeah, that vacuum works really well, but without the hose....

OK, got everything lined up, double checked and went for it....

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

Yes, that is a nice clean cut for sure.

IMG_0812.JPG

One half ready to go.

IMG_0815.JPG

My two helpers ready to catch the table top halves as they come out the window.

IMG_0816.JPG

Wrapped up ready for its short sleep in the storage of the new office I'll get to this soon enough.

The client is VERY happy, things went well, took longer, not withstanding my quick hose trip, but there was more stuff to remove than they had said originally, but we got it all done.

Cheers!