one more off the bucket list

Chuck Ellis

I've wanted to do a chess set since I started turning and finally got one finished... this is for the art guild art show next May... the chessmen are turned from Walnut and Pecan, range in size from 2 inches for the pawns and graduated upwards from the rook to the king at 4 1/4". All of the piece have been weighted with birdshot, then puttied over the opening to hold the shot, then finished with a felt bottom. No idea of the weight of each piece as I didn't bother with that detail. The board is Maple and Bubinga and is just at 17" square with a 2" wide frame. I haven't tried to do a box for the pieces on this set... maybe on the next... my flat work is still a work in progress, so the board is okay, but a little rough in places... i.e., a couple of squares aren't perfectly level with the others and I have a slight arch in the center...

Take a look and let me know what you see that I might do better next time.... may even try for a proper night on next set.

13-3167_4.jpg13-3167_0.jpg13-3167_1.jpg13-3167_2.jpg13-3167_3.jpg

That'll get the job done.

I kind of like the pawn design, they look like poor farmers with broad sun hats caught up in some war they wanted nothing to do with.

The style of the pieces all fits together pretty well imho and has an interesting distinctive feel to it (I mean that in a good way). Did you have a pattern you were working from or were they your design?

The set looks great Chuck:) What better for next time, I guess alter what you don't like because it all looks good from this side of the monitor:)

That'll get the job done.

I kind of like the pawn design, they look like poor farmers with broad sun hats caught up in some war they wanted nothing to do with.

The style of the pieces all fits together pretty well imho and has an interesting distinctive feel to it (I mean that in a good way). Did you have a pattern you were working from or were they your design?

Pretty much off the top of my head... I looked at a number of designs, but then just started... I turned the knight piece first and liked it, so worked off that.

Very, very nice Chuck! I love it. That ought to go well at the show. I have never tackled one of those before. Now you got me thinking. Gots to watch my thinking as it can be painful.