Lamp

Jeff Horton

I was asked about making a couple of these. Looks like the post is triangular. The legs shouldn't be an issue. Getting the first one right might take some time though. But where do you put the cord? :huh:

lamp.jpg

Got a couple of ideas but thought I would toss that one out and see what creative ideas you could come up with. Would be nice if it could be replaced if needed. :rofl:

Jeff

Jeff, I suppose you would run the cord down one of the legs. If the leg is laminated with a channel in it, you ought to be able to replace the cord easiliy enough. You would probably use sliding dovetails to connect the elgs to the body of the lamp. The leg with the cord could be left loose in the DT so it could be removed. A strategically placed screw could lock the leg in place.

I've never really liked the cord coming out of a floor lamp. Here are a couple of other ideas for you. First, a stretch, wrap a large coil of wire around the base of the lamp holder up inder the shade. Make another large coil and put it on the ceiling above the lamp. Plug that one in to the power. The two coils would act as a transformer. You'd have to work out the specifics to get the coils to couple.

Another thought is to use one of those LED clusters for the lamp and a rechargeable battery for power. You might look at some of those LiPo batteries out there. They are lightweight and have reasonably high current density.

......wrap a large coil of wire around the base of the lamp holder up inder the shade. Make another large coil and put it on the ceiling above the lamp. Plug that one in to the power. The two coils would act as a transformer. You'd have to work out the specifics to get the coils to couple.

Uhhh Ahhhh A science project and a woodworking project all in one! I LOVE IT! :rofl:

Jeff

You have me thinking, dave ....

What about the other way? Make a foot that's substantial enough to hide the load half of that transformer inside it ... then put the line half under the floor... just like my rechargable toothbrush!!!

Just don't move that lamp :p

Jason, that's a great idea! Or, put the coil in the lamp and a magnet in the floor. Then move the lamp rapidly back and forth over the magnet to generate a current in the coil to light the lamp.

Jeff, aren't you glad you asked us idea guys for help. :rofl:

I have it!

Place a very strong magnet in the center piece of the lamp ... borrow the neighbor's toddler and wrap a large coil of wire around his waist ... tie a tether around said child and to the lamp and send him a-runnin .... Presto! Light!

Jeff, what about the LEDs? I like that idea. It's practical, the LEDs have a long useful life and they can put the lamp anywhere because there'd be no power cord.

Jeff, what about the LEDs? I like that idea. It's practical, the LEDs have a long useful life and they can put the lamp anywhere because there'd be no power cord.

That must be what they are doing in the one in the picture, because it "Appears" that the light is ON, but I sure don't see any cord coming out anywhere.

I've not seen any LED fixtures that were the same color spectrum as a typical lamp. Does such a thing exist? The ones I've seen all seem more blue than white.

If it were me, I'd do the laminate/channel idea Dave mentioned. The piece is painted, so the joints would disappear nicely.

Have not seen the LED lights. Heck, here in Alabama we just got indoor plumbing! :D

I have been thinking laminated leg too. Don't really see much other good option. Or slotting the inside of the leg deep, then gluing in a filler strip. That would make the joint only on the inside..... actually that might be better on the top of the leg. Then just turn it with the wall. It would show less than the bottom face or the laminated leg. Hummmm

Oh yea, no paint, these would be natural finish. No idea what wood yet.

Jeff