Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outdoor table, pressure treated pine, never again!

outdoor table, pressure treated pine, never again!

35x80, using decking for top, 2x4s for legs and aprons.
    glueup on legs failed. I believe it might have been my fault, used 12 inch clamps, glued up 2 sets of legs at once, probably not enough pressure?
    after 1.5 days, glue wasn't cured, I was able to split the glue up with a spackle blade, so I reglued each set alone.
    Table top, end board didn't glue up all the way, split it as much as I could with blade, then poured in as much glue as I could, reclamped.
    its 2 days as of this afternoon, overglue is just as wet as first time out of bottle. humidity here is 100%, temps mid 50s, not dealing with this ever again.
    I wanted it to look like an indoor dining table, but a poor choice of lumber for gluing up, not to mention its so wet its difficult to plane and joint.
    Im going to give it a few days to cure.
    I didn't want this project to last more than a week, wait a month, then use some deck paint to give it a nice color.
    I have 5-6 total hours into it.

legs will be tapered, and it will all be mortise and tenon between apron and legs.
    aprons are planed down to 1.25 inches thick. Top should end up approx. 1 inch thick.
    I made the top in two sections so I can handle it better, final glue up will be after drum sander, then Ill give a light sanding by orbital at the one joint.
    Elen is off from work Monday, she doesn't know shes going to be helping me run the top through the drum sander.
    (Id love to do the drum sander tomorrow while my daughter comes for lunch, she wouldn't mind, but I don't trust the glue with this damp cold weather)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails messofatable 001.jpg   messofatable 002.jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

If I just lined up the boards with boards underneath to hold the top together, and used deck screws for legs and aprons, I probably would be close to finished by now. a picnic table like that is a weekend project.
    Human Test Dummy

I hae used glue on outdoor furniture, but not on major structural components. Gluing the 2x4s together is the right approach, however I would have waited for a warmer day to do the gluing too. Fifty degrees is 10º in my country, and I would want the temperature to be at least 15º (59 US) just to be on the safe side.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Allen, I don't know this for sure but I am guessing the 'pressure treating chemicals' are interfering with the glue set up/adhesion. I would try a polyurethane glue, like Gorilla and others. Just a thought.
    Best of luck as you go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Horky View Post
    Allen, I don't know this for sure but I am guessing the 'pressure treating chemicals' are interfering with the glue set up/adhesion. I would try a polyurethane glue, like Gorilla and others. Just a thought.
    Best of luck as you go forward.
    youre probably right. Im going to give it a couple more days and see if it cured or not.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    youre probably right. Im going to give it a couple more days and see if it cured or not.
    I wouldn't trust glue only at all. Stainless steel screws only way to go. "joining"? The top must have at least 1/2" spacing between boards to allow proper draining even with treated wood. Picnic table ain't fancy furniture, it's a picnic table and is going to take hard knocks.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I wouldn't trust glue only at all. Stainless steel screws only way to go. "joining"? The top must have at least 1/2" spacing between boards to allow proper draining even with treated wood...
    The wet, treated wood will shrink horribly when it dries, too. I build a deck with it several years ago. Knowing it would shrink, I butted the deck boards tight when I built it. A year later, there are ½" gaps between the boards during the dry season, and about ¼" gaps even during the rainy season (like now).

If you're going to glue up the top 'slab,' then be sure to make slots for the mounting screws, to allow for a lot of movement.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

thanx, the glueup failed again, so when I attach the pieces, Im going to just use boards underneath to hold together.
    I made a solid pressure treated top years ago, it held up pretty well. Gets it small twists and turns, not exactly flat, but no real issues with glueup boards.
    It was different pressure treated. I don't remember any pressure treated this wet. The other glueups are fine now.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...I don't remember any pressure treated this wet. The other glueups are fine now.
    The last stuff I got was so wet it's splash when you drove a nail into it. Really nasty stuff!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Do you have a moisture meter to see how wet it is? Like Jim Ive done decks that the board were so wet that we just butted them without any gaps and a few days later were 1/4" to 3/8" gaps between after drying out in the sun.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault