Well, I guess it's Friday!

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
TGIF!

Not sure what is on the schedule for tonight, depends on if we have the grandson or not. I think we're doing Easter tomorrow with him since he wasn't home last weekend. I need to get the mower ready for doing it's first cutting of the year. I also need to get the walls sanded and start priming them in the downstairs bath.

What's one everyone else's plate this weekend?

Id like to share my lovely Friday.
first, I woke up with a backache.
When I entered the shop, I noticed most of my glueups failed, so I spent the morning ripping them apart, sanding, cleaning up and re glueing.
then the highlight of my day, I got a haircut and ate lunch, then it went all downhill.
I know both of my cars(not elens) needed inspections this month and are both basically due for an oil change.
so on the way home from lunch, I dropped my truck off at the auto place(local mechanic, big place, 10 bays, out door lifts, parking lot holds maybe 40 cars)
and told him Id pick it up this afternoon before he closed.
I walked home, turned my ankle slightly when I didn't see a broken piece of pavement.
decided to call the mechanic, hey, can I bring my Porsche(my baby) in for an oil change and inspection also, Ill drop it off tonight, pick up my truck, and pick up the Porsche tomorrow, sure he said...
so its maybe the first time in 10 years I didn't bring the convertible into the dealer for anything. Just more convenient, as the local mechanic is within walking distance, not 6 towns away in Friday traffic.

so with elen, we drive over to the mechanic, and I park the Porsche against the fence of the parking lot.
Im getting ready to pay, ask if the truck is ready, and was told yeah, maybe 5 minutes.
with that, we hear a bang, the kind of bang you know what it is.

the idiot backed out my truck, 40-50 feet, and then turned left into my Porsche!
both of my cars and I wasn't even in one of them! Incredible. what are the odds. I always say, if it wasn't for bad luck, Id have no luck at all!
Nice dent on the rear of the Porsche.
I don't understand, visually looking, the backup siren going off, what on earth was the idiot driving my truck doing? why did he keep backing up, when there was enough room to pull forward a 40 foot truck, I have no clue where he was trying to squeeze an F-150 king cab truck.
and this is something they do all day long.
the boss said to me, well, youre not exactly in a parking spot, but I pointed out Im at least 40 feet and to the left of the bay door, (they are called bays?)
and what about the backup siren, beeping away, ignore that also? what if it was a kid and his mommy coming to pick up their car, ignore it all, not look where youre going?
totally disgusted.
and that's my Friday.
figure Saturday cant get any worse.
2 damaged cars, sprained ankle, and bad woodworking, and my back still bothers me.
I had a miserable 3 days with my infusion, it just wasn't agreeing with me this week, so I was super happy when I woke up Thursday and knew I was free of the needle, bad week.

Last edited:
The only shop time today was setting up a new tool in the form of a computer upgrade! I had a PC in there for several years and it was "OK", but a bit slow at times and well - just showing its age. After looking around a bit, I caught what seemed like a decent deal at Office Depot: a Lenovo with Intel Core i5 Processor, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD, etc, etc, etc, for $399. I also updated our home office monitor to a 27" Acer, then took the old monitor (23") to the shop to add to the 22" I had out there, so I now have a dual monitor setup in my shop - both flat screen, of course. I do most of my design, etc., in my shop now, so it was time! To say the new PC is an improvement would be an understatement! I've never had a PC that was so fast regardless of how much I had open at one time.

Oh, yeah...I will get back to making sawdust or chips or whatever on Saturday. I have a couple of small-ish projects I want to make progress on tomorrow!

Then comes Sunday. Yep, our usual routine: I'll prepare brunch, then settle in for the NASCAR Martinsville crash and burn!

Big things going on.

I am having 5 trees removed to make sun exposure for the solar panels.

I need to stack the firewood

I need to remove some of the sheathing on the house to examine some framing

I have a fun project in the works in the shop.

That's for Saturday.

On Sunday we are going to Conn. to my son's house for his 3-rd daughters baptismal.

OK, my bad. I laughed when I read this. Sorry about that! The worse part is that now you have expend all that energy getting everything fixed.

the owner called a local well known body shop and I brought it right over. body shop owner claims he will have it ready in a little over a week.
his shop had at least 2 dozen cars packed in it, not sure unless he is going to do my car immediately after he gets the parts.
it was a bit surreal. just cant figure it out. My son says the shop guy who was backing it out was probably texting or using his cell phone and not paying attention, which I could buy, stupid, but possible, but how does anyone ignore the back up siren. it beeps faster and faster when you get within a couple of feet.
mechanic is lucky, I could have insisted on a rent a car until my car is fixed.

Allen, you had a month's (or more) worth of bad luck in a day. I hope the rest of your weekend gets better.

I've got a few chores to do around the house, but the bulk of the weekend will be spent helping my sis with an estate sale at my dad's townhouse. (Well, technically it's our townhouse now.) Later tonight I'm going to take a load of my own stuff over to the townhouse. We're using this opportunity to try and get rid of a bunch of our extra stuff in addition to the stuff that was my dad's that none of us wanted to keep.

Oh, Allen! And I thought my day went into the crapper. No even close!

One of those one step forward, two steps backwards days though. Working on rehabbing a 'free' vertical air compressor from Glenn. Finally found a new air filter and housing. It was broken and missing. Got the right one first try. So far so good. Guessed on the wheels, Wrong size. Have to return and get bigger ones. Drained the oil. What a mess! Looked like beige cream. Gonna have to find a way to flush the thing out. Can't find any documentation, so have no clue as to the amount of oil needed. Found what I think is a sight glass. I'll guess at the midway mark on it. Still need a rubber pad to for the third foot. Did get it degunked. Not one of my favorite tasks. Also need a new power cord. Once working again, it will be dedicated to the plasma cutter, which is the next project to get up and going. Need that working to continue with the tractor project.

Tomorrow is back to the CNC cabinet build. Smells much better that grease and oil. Sunday is back to the day job.

It really sucks to be you this week, Allen. I've got to do nothing unless it snows, which may bring us just enough to use my snowblower for the second time this winter. Other than that, church on Sunday, and that's all she wrote.

You should of stayed in Bed Allen. Then again it probably was one of those days that no matter what choices you made they were going to be wrong :doh:

I have to make a "A" frame sandwich board for our churches community supper. Other than that just taking it easy.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES!

I ran over to the body shop this morning first thing to make sure my car was inside and secure, and I wanted to make sure when it was hit, it didn't bounce the front end into the fence and do any damage.

today, my daughter joined me for two of my favorite things. First we had a nice early lunch,(I shed the salad today and went all out and had a turkey on whole wheat sesame bagel, insides scooped out ofcourse) then she came over and helped me run the tops through the drum sander to get them nice and flat. eating and woodworking, my two favorite things.
not many Jewish American Princesses willing to ruin their French manicures, but she had a blast. Told her its the only way to speed up her old man to knock out things faster and make more things for her.
She didn't want goggles on for picture.

hey, I don't give Jet permission to use this picture as an advertisement.
Although for the right fee Id be inclined to persuade her to model for them.

Attachments

• marissaanddrumsander 004.jpg
    marissaanddrumsander 004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 28
  • marissaanddrumsander 001.jpg
    marissaanddrumsander 001.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 26
oh, and I cant stress one point enough......the right castors are wonderful.
now I can roll the drum sander in and out of the shed, use it for everything, its a beautiful thing.
never ever skimp on the castors, ever.

shes moving again within a month or two, she might need some small builds.
gotta push this annoying project along, already too much time invested in it. should have been finished within a few days.

I have to design and build a hanging wall 4-6 quilt hanging rack for elen.
and then theres that marble chess board waiting for its final home.