Thread: Online metal purchase

Online metal purchase

I'm needing some 1/8" thick by 3/8" wide brass bar stock and a piece of 3/16" piece of brass rod. I was going to get about 2 feet of both. Lucas is taking first year machine shop at school and I was going to get him to make me some knife hinges. I figured it would be a nice project for him and I'd get some hinges. I checked online at a couple of places and for the material it was going to be around 7 bucks for the stock which isn't bad. Here's the kicker shipping was going to be around 18.00! I guess I'll be checking local to see if I can find some place that carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I'm needing some 1/8" thick by 3/8" wide brass bar stock and a piece of 3/16" piece of brass rod. I was going to get about 2 feet of both. Lucas is taking first year machine shop at school and I was going to get him to make me some knife hinges. I figured it would be a nice project for him and I'd get some hinges. I checked online at a couple of places and for the material it was going to be around 7 bucks for the stock which isn't bad. Here's the kicker shipping was going to be around 18.00! I guess I'll be checking local to see if I can find some place that carries it.
    I have had that exact same experience. If you are a an amazon prime member though, I have found some pieces there with the prime 'free' shipping.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks Brent I didn't think about looking on Amazon.

I put 'Free' in quotes because some of the prices might be a bit higher to cover shipping. I've got a couple projects coming up where I need to go down to the local supplier and see what I can get and what prices they have.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yep +1 to amazon; their "small parts" shop has all sorts of materials available. That's where I got the brass I used for the infill on my marking gauges.

If you have a local metal shop/supplier around they can often beat the prices by a bit but for a couple of small pieces its often not worth the overhead. Of course there's the added advantage that you get to go poke around the metal shop (which in our town is also sort of an everything shop). Man now I want to go down there and wander around again

If you have a metal cutting manufacturing plant near you, they would call that, "scrap" and you may be able to get a 5 gallon bucket full of stuff like that free.

I have successfully ordered some brass stock on ebay just fine ... there are lots of deals to be had there for small quantities in a lot of cases.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA