Thicknesser tuning ? I found the problem!! UPDATED

You're going to need the chain number for the right sprocket match. If you can't find the number on it, look at a catalog list of chain and try to match up the dimensions to what you have. Buying sprockets to fit a specific chain number after that gets fairly easy. If you can find the sprocket with the right number of teeth and for the chain number it would be easy to drill holes for the cross pins in them.

Actually, because all four sprockets need to rotate in sync with each other, you could buy 4 identical sprockets of the right diameter and shaft size, even if they are different than the originals, if you buy a chain to match them.

The idlers don't need to be fancy, just eliminate the slack in the chain.

Whatever you end up using, write the part numbers and source on the metal base plate so you, or the next owner, can match them up easily next time. Every time that I don't do this I end up wishing I had.

Charley

Another Thing to Remember

Another thing that I learned very early on as a fireman was that when responding to any kind of serious accident where the driver was less than about 30 years old, to make it a point to look in the trunk of the vehicle. Sometimes younger drivers put friends in the trunk to get into drive-in movies cheap, or to fit more into the car, etc. and at the accident they forget to tell anyone about their friend in the trunk.

Now the funny part. Not 2 hours after this was discussed in a training class I responded to a head-on collision on a winding dirt road. The drivers and passengers in both cars were young and all were injured and both cars were about 200 miles from the junk yard even before the accident due to their condition. I grabbed the keys from the first car and opened the trunk. What I saw was a pair of boots, my boots. There was no trunk floor in the car. It was entirely rusted away. I had considerable difficulty looking in the trunk of the other car because I was still laughing about seeing my boots in the trunk of the first car.

Charley

You're going to need the chain number for the right sprocket match. If you can't find the number on it, look at a catalog list of chain and try to match up the dimensions to what you have. Buying sprockets to fit a specific chain number after that gets fairly easy.

Thanks Charles, I didn't know that, in fact there is a number and a letter stamped on every other link of the chain. So that will help a lot.