Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to call the toe truck?

Time to call the toe truck?

I went for my medical pedicure a few weeks ago, and the chirpodist discovered a sore on my third toe, right foot. It did not appear to be nfected, but I've been going to the wound clinic twice a week to have the dressing changed and the toe inspected. Today they noticed a little bit of redness, so the doctor put me on antibiotics for the next two weeks, as a preventive measure. He also sent me for an X-ray of my toe, just to make sure the bone isn't infected. He thinks it isn't, but wanted to be sure. The hole in the end of my toe is getting steadily smaller and smaller, but he reckons it will still take a few weeks. I hope it heals soon, because I can't take a shower as long as the bandage is on my foot.

If it gets worse, I'll mention it. This doctor has saved toes in much worse condition, so I'm not too worried, and even if I lose the toe, I have nine more. (Don't bother to tell me how serious this could, be; I know, but if you can't laugh you have to cry.)
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Roger, I have been there, so I know. And I only have nine toes now. Also the rehab for toe amputation is not a walk in the park! As for the shower thing, get a shower bag for your foot. This may not be the only time you need it. They are available and better than the grocery/trash bag and tape affairs. Those leak! DAMHIKT!

I wish you well with the infection. I had 6 weeks of daily infusions and 4 weeks of oral antibiotics. Ruins your taste buds. There are some really nasty bugs out there these days and our antibiotics are not up to the task on lots of them.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Take care of yourself and that toe Roger.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yes, please .. toe the line on the doctors orders!

Glad to hear it seems to be healing up!

Here you go Roger!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toe_Truck.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	95297
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I understand your plight, Roger. Though not for the same reasons. The first time I was shot while a Marine was in my right side just below the ribs. The bullet did some unique renovations of some of my insides and after the surgery for repair work, I had two different pumps sucking excess fluid buildups from the suture areas. Couldn't take a full or even partial shower. So, as he old saying goes I was able to take a spit bath. Wash the pertinent areas with wash rag, soap, water. Not a shower but it will make being around you more tolerable. You should be able to do that without any problems. I never used a foot bag like Carol suggested but if it worked for her, you should certainly give it a try. Hope all heals well.

Roger,
    I concur with Dave, When I had my umbilical hernia repair a few years back, they split my belly for about 8 inches right by the belly button, then stapled my back together... I wasn't allowed out of bed for a week. Fortunately, they had the nurse come in and give me sponge bath every day... she said she would was as far as possible and if I behaved, she could wash possible.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I'm doing sponge baths, but I miss the shower. I filled the prescription on the way home. That's a lot of pills to swallow - two week's worth. With a little luck, it will make my gingivitis go away for a while. It did last time.
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

The X-rays show that the bone in the toe is not infected, which is good because the toe bone's connected to the foot bone, and the foot bone.... I have to keep taking all the antibiotics, and the doc says it is healing. Slowly, but healing. So it goes...
    Cheers,
    Roger

Progress so far. The wound still hasn't closed up, but is not infected, and I'm on a course of antibiotics just to make sure. Also to make sure, the doctor is calling me in for a course of ultra-violet treatments, three times a week, for up to 13 weeks. I'm not worried too much, but I am impatient. I like the staff at the wound clinic, but it's getting to where I know all their first names and their birthdays. .
    Cheers,
    Roger