Time to call the toe truck?

Roger Tulk

I went for my medical pedicure a few weeks ago, and the chirpodist discovered a sore on my third toe, right foot. It did not appear to be nfected, but I've been going to the wound clinic twice a week to have the dressing changed and the toe inspected. Today they noticed a little bit of redness, so the doctor put me on antibiotics for the next two weeks, as a preventive measure. He also sent me for an X-ray of my toe, just to make sure the bone isn't infected. He thinks it isn't, but wanted to be sure. The hole in the end of my toe is getting steadily smaller and smaller, but he reckons it will still take a few weeks. I hope it heals soon, because I can't take a shower as long as the bandage is on my foot.

If it gets worse, I'll mention it. This doctor has saved toes in much worse condition, so I'm not too worried, and even if I lose the toe, I have nine more. (Don't bother to tell me how serious this could, be; I know, but if you can't laugh you have to cry.)

Roger, I have been there, so I know. And I only have nine toes now. Also the rehab for toe amputation is not a walk in the park! As for the shower thing, get a shower bag for your foot. This may not be the only time you need it. They are available and better than the grocery/trash bag and tape affairs. Those leak! DAMHIKT!

I wish you well with the infection. I had 6 weeks of daily infusions and 4 weeks of oral antibiotics. Ruins your taste buds. There are some really nasty bugs out there these days and our antibiotics are not up to the task on lots of them.

I understand your plight, Roger. Though not for the same reasons. The first time I was shot while a Marine was in my right side just below the ribs. The bullet did some unique renovations of some of my insides and after the surgery for repair work, I had two different pumps sucking excess fluid buildups from the suture areas. Couldn't take a full or even partial shower. So, as he old saying goes I was able to take a spit bath. Wash the pertinent areas with wash rag, soap, water. Not a shower but it will make being around you more tolerable. You should be able to do that without any problems. I never used a foot bag like Carol suggested but if it worked for her, you should certainly give it a try. Hope all heals well.

Roger,
I concur with Dave, When I had my umbilical hernia repair a few years back, they split my belly for about 8 inches right by the belly button, then stapled my back together... I wasn't allowed out of bed for a week. Fortunately, they had the nurse come in and give me sponge bath every day... she said she would was as far as possible and if I behaved, she could wash possible.:D:D

I'm doing sponge baths, but I miss the shower. I filled the prescription on the way home. That's a lot of pills to swallow - two week's worth. With a little luck, it will make my gingivitis go away for a while. It did last time.

The X-rays show that the bone in the toe is not infected, which is good because the toe bone's connected to the foot bone, and the foot bone.... I have to keep taking all the antibiotics, and the doc says it is healing. Slowly, but healing. So it goes...

Progress so far. The wound still hasn't closed up, but is not infected, and I'm on a course of antibiotics just to make sure. Also to make sure, the doctor is calling me in for a course of ultra-violet treatments, three times a week, for up to 13 weeks. I'm not worried too much, but I am impatient. I like the staff at the wound clinic, but it's getting to where I know all their first names and their birthdays. .

Progress so far. The wound still hasn't closed up, but is not infected, and I'm on a course of antibiotics just to make sure. Also to make sure, the doctor is calling me in for a course of ultra-violet treatments, three times a week, for up to 13 weeks. I'm not worried too much, but I am impatient. I like the staff at the wound clinic, but it's getting to where I know all their first names and their birthdays. .

I know what you mean. And its a good thing they are nice people since they will be closer than relatives for a period of your life. So a lesson in patience. Not fun. But hang in there. You are in my prayers for complete uncomplicated healing. Its just not going to be speedy.

The sweet young lady who is zapping my toe tells me that results usually take about 20 treatments before they start to show. That means,um 7 weeks! Mid June. I've had toes in worse condition heal up faster than that. I hope I'm free by my daughter's wedding in October. Don't worry about me, I'm my usual cheerful self; not obsessing about this or anything.

The thing about doctors according to my surgeon in California, the reason they still call it practicing medicine is they're not sure what's happening in the body... but they probably have a better guess than I would.

In my life, I guess I've been really lucky... when I dropped a down hole gun on my big toe on the left foot, it split the toe along the nail, broke the last joint in the toe in 6 places and mashed the toe nail bad enough that I lost it... the first night I just soaked in Epsom salt water and tried to get all the blood out from under the nail... Monday morning my boss sent me to the clinic for workman's comp and xray's... the doctor said I had done all they could have done and to just wear a soft shoe... other than walking funny for a couple of months, I didn't have any problems with the toe... it's stiff now and I can only bend it about 5 degrees, but I healed nicely....

About 3 years back, I slipped off the hill behind the house and my foot went under the lawn mower, it took the top of my shoe off and 1/2 the toe nail on that same foot... again, a little attention to the bleeding, which in this case I didn't have any, but nearly gave me a heart attack when I realized how close I had come to losing part of the foot.... after about a year, I had a new nail and no problems with infection or such.

To date, counting the original from birth, I've grown 4 toenails on that foot. (I lost one when I was 10 by dropping my mother's treadle sewing machine on it.)

Keep on keeping on and follow their lead. They will get you through it.

I"ve lost count of the number of nails I've lost due to this diabetic nephropathy thingy, but they have all grown back. So far. I lost my first nail when my son dropped a rock on the little finger of my right hand. I thought I had lost the end of the finger, but the hospital x-rayed it and put a huge bandage on it, and said they would call me if the x-rays showed anything that might be a concern. They didn't call, and the fingernail grew back and after six months looked like it had never been hurt. I've lost the nail on the toe that is being treated right now. It was loose, and the doctor just pulled it off because it was getting in the way of his examination. Not the first time he's done that, either. No fear, it will grow back in less than a year, as long as I get to keep the toe. I have a lot of confidence in this doctor, he's very good.

I have problems with my feet all the time. But mine is a case of incurable jungle rot from Viet Nam. I was over there for 31 month and did a lot of LRRP's (long range recon patrol) and your feet stayed constantly wet. The GI socks at that time were manufactured with a preservative based with copper sulfates. They have quit doing that after the problems were discovered. But, I lose toe nails all the time, or if they don't fall off they certainly don't look right. I love Epsom Salt. It doesn't cure it, but certainly makes the feet feel better. My feet sometimes get a little scaly now and then and the Epsom Salts takes care of that along with scrubbing them with a scotch bright pad. When I was in the Marines a lot of guys wore those corfam shoes so they didn't have to polish them. Plastic things that your feet couldn't breathe in. I could not wear them. Always had to wear the regular issue leather shoes. But, the world is still turning even if my feet drive me nuts once in a while.