I had my 1st blow out

Turning a snakewood pot and a tiny lil catch and boom, 3 pieces went flying. Lucky they were all clean breaks and with the figure in the snake it is easy to repair and get back into a call.
I did really make me mad ! Also caused me to slow down a bit and make a couple changes to what I use to take the wood down.

Must be something in the air

Must be something in the air! For some reason I have decided I need to learn how to use a skew. I'm going to have to kick around and find some stuff that needs handles, they are taking over the shop. I saw a video of somebody turning offset the other day and the piece of home depot whitewood was about the same size so why not. Being a practicing coward I have been boring the end going on my live center in the tailstock so it sits pretty deep. I turned the lathe up a bit since the blank was only 1.5 x 1.75 x 10" give or take. Got the center round, hit a resin pocket in the process and it slung out bit by bit. Cost me quite a bit of arm hair a little later when it came time to clean up.

The ends weren't that far out of balance, the center was in balance, roll the speed control up against the stop. To be honest I'm not sure just what happened when I was turning a minute later but half of my spindle I was turning departed for parts unknown and the other half was still on the lathe. Been about three days and the missing half of the blank hasn't came down yet, must have achieved earth orbit.

Blew up a little bowl about a month ago, pretty sure that was due to worn out chuck jaws, bought another set. I didn't think I would be but I'm much happier with the dovetail jaws than I was with the Oneway profile "wave" jaws. The wood has a lot less tendency to move around in the dovetail jaws but of course there is only one diameter it grips perfectly whereas the profile jaws grip pretty good in a lot of positions and nowhere perfectly.

Turning sure is fun. Always something new to learn. Stuff just broke on the craftsman with the weak motor and lower RPM. Things blow up on this griz with a three horse motor and over half again the rpm!

Hu

Blowouts are just part of a well-rounded education. ;) If you don't push the edge of the envelope from time to time, you'll never really know where it sits.