dresser project

well, back at it again. i wasn't too happy with the side frames, and the way that the hand routed dadoes came out. so, i cut the parts for new sides, to a newer design that i liked better. got them planed and ready to go, when i decided to do the panels differently. i decided to go with bookmatched panels instead of plywood. also, found a good setup for the stacked dado blades for the thickness of the drawer frames.

Attachments

• 025 new side parts cut and planed.jpg
    025 new side parts cut and planed.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 026 new side frame design.jpg
    026 new side frame design.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 027 notches cut for panels.jpg
    027 notches cut for panels.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 12
  • 028 boards selected for panels.jpg
    028 boards selected for panels.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 13
  • 029 new panels cut and glued up.jpg
    029 new panels cut and glued up.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
Coming along nicely Dan. I applaud your willingness to remake parts that didn't meet with your approval. I have finally learned that when something isn't quite right or goes just plain wrong that I am generally happier if I just stop and "make a new one" that is more like what I am really after. Thanks for taking the time for the detailed build journal and ride-a-long.

planed the panels down to a touch under .25", and did a test setup of the side. with that out of the way, glued up one side, then the other. next, the thinning out of the drawer frames.

Attachments

• 033 second side glued up.jpg
    033 second side glued up.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 032 first side glued up.jpg
    032 first side glued up.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 031 first test setup.jpg
    031 first test setup.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 030 panels planed to thickness.jpg
    030 panels planed to thickness.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 9
trimmed down the long rails on the drawer frames to 2 1/2". then cut all new stiles for the frames, and got them planed to thickness. now, what to do with the leftover frames? i had an idea...

Attachments

• 036 stiles for frames cut and planed.jpg
    036 stiles for frames cut and planed.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 035 rails for frames trimmed up.jpg
    035 rails for frames trimmed up.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3
got a bit more out of the way today. glued up all 5 of the new frames, quite a bit lighter than the old ones.

Attachments

• 042 all new frames done.jpg
    042 all new frames done.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 041 new frame 5.jpg
    041 new frame 5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 040 new frame 4.jpg
    040 new frame 4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 039 new frame 3.jpg
    039 new frame 3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 038 new frame 2.jpg
    038 new frame 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 037 new frame 1.jpg
    037 new frame 1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2
bit the bullet on this one, and set up the dado stack, and got the cut to right where i wanted it, snug, but with a touch of room. then i made certain that i did not cut the wrong side, and did the first cuts, and found that i had to do a repair on one of the sides. went on to do the second cut, and after the glue set up, did the other second cut. with that done, did the third, fourth, and when it came to the fifth cut, ran into a problem. the problem was the space between the feet. some times the woodworking gods smile upon us, and i found i had an odd bit of scrap that was the right width to be flush with the bottom of the feet, but had to be trimmed to fit. much to my surprise, it worked! now was the time to do a test assembly! remember that i said that some times the woodworking gods smile upon us, this time they laughed themselves sick. note, that all of the frames worked just fine with the test cut, not so with the real cuts. after a few hours of frustration, saying a few bad words, looking for an even bigger hammer, finally got the beast together. i guess i will be doing some light sanding with 80 grit, to take the ends down a cat hair. called it a night after this.

Attachments

• 048 third cuts done.JPG
    048 third cuts done.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 047 second second cut done.JPG
    047 second second cut done.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 046 second cut done.JPG
    046 second cut done.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 045 first cuts done and a repair.JPG
    045 first cuts done and a repair.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 044 error prevention.JPG
    044 error prevention.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 043 got the dado stack just right.JPG
    043 got the dado stack just right.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 3
second set

Attachments

• 053 test setup done.JPG
    053 test setup done.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 052 start of setup.JPG
    052 start of setup.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 051 fifth cuts done.JPG
    051 fifth cuts done.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 050 fifth cut adapter.JPG
    050 fifth cut adapter.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • 049 fourth cuts done.JPG
    049 fourth cuts done.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 7
with some time on my hands (so little of it mine today), i took some 80 grit to the ends of the frames, and now they fit like advertised. then, i went home and got the top, and sanded it on both sides. after that, applied the dye to the bottom (only the areas that will be seen), and the top. reassembled and set the top on the case, and gave it the coat of sanding sealer. pretty soon, all of the parts that need finishing, will be finished, and brought home for final assembly.

Attachments

• 061 top with coat of sanding sealer.JPG
    061 top with coat of sanding sealer.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 060 top on case with back board.JPG
    060 top on case with back board.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 059 top of top dyed.jpg
    059 top of top dyed.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 058 top of top sanded.jpg
    058 top of top sanded.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 057 bottom of top dyed.JPG
    057 bottom of top dyed.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 056 bottom of top sanded.JPG
    056 bottom of top sanded.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 12
  • 055 frames fitted to both sides.JPG
    055 frames fitted to both sides.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 054 fitting frames to sides.JPG
    054 fitting frames to sides.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 13
start of today's fun, added a second coat of gel stain to the top. if it is nice out tomorrow, i'll be spraying the coat of seal coat. then in the next couple of days, the shellac.

Attachments

• 061 second coat of gel stain.JPG
    061 second coat of gel stain.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 8
set up to spray outside today, and it worked really good. right up until the bubbles showed up. waited until they had set, and then sanded them down. only problem with that, is that they pulled the finish up, right to the dye level. now it turns out that it is a dark finish with a few hundred red spots. started to try to sand back to the bare wood, but not working very well. i was thinking about using the bottom of the top, then i remembered the inclusion, so that rules that out. any ideas on how to remove the shellac finish? i figure that if i get back to the bare wood, i can start the process over again. with that mess out of the way, i reassembled the case with the drawer frames in the right places, and got the measurements of the openings for the drawers.

Attachments

• 063 bubbles showing up.JPG
    063 bubbles showing up.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 064 bubble aftermath.JPG
    064 bubble aftermath.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 065  dresser case reassembled.JPG
    065 dresser case reassembled.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 4