New Table needs refinishing

Chuck Ellis

We were over in Hayesville, NC last week to have dinner with my son and daughter in law... we got there early, so walked across the street to an antique shop to look about and kill a few minutes. Dianne found a couple of plant stands she wanted, so we got those. She also saw this table in the back room and talked about it the rest of the week, so yesterday we went back and got it.

It's made from Ambrosia Maple slabs. In the process of bringing it into the house, carrying it by the lower shelf so I could get a good handhold, the table fell apart... turned out it was just cobbled together using wire brads. I'll get some brass screws and put it back together properly today or tomorrow.

I had planned to sand down the top anyway as it's a little rough and has some water marks, plus the finish is yellowed some and I would like something a little clearer on it....

Misc = Hayesville,NC 010.jpgMisc = Hayesville,NC 002.jpgMisc = Hayesville,NC 005.jpg

chuck i wouldnt use brass screws, steel are stronger, also you need to allow for movement on that wide top. could use some figure 8 brackets on the top the shelf could be anchored solid in the middle and then elongated holes for the right and left of center attachments

Thanks guys, I've put it back together... the purpose of the screws was on the shelf rail to hold it to the legs, they are all on the underside and not visible.... as I said this was originally just cobbled together using wire brads and while I have a brad nailer, I didn't like the idea. It's nice and solid now and I've sanded the saw marks out of the top... the bottom shelf wasn't cut exactly square, so I have a slight gap at the leading edge on one side... I won't point it out if you won't look for it...:D