cutting board project

got the last of the boards cut with the help of my new shop assistant :blah:. then proceeded to the glue up phase. now that they are all glued up, it will be off to the cabinet shop for a ride on the big belt sander.

Attachments

• 030 first three glued up.jpg
    030 first three glued up.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 031 second three glued up.jpg
    031 second three glued up.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 032 last three glued up.jpg
    032 last three glued up.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 28
  • new shop helper.jpg
    new shop helper.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 31
got the last of the boards cut with the help of my new shop assistant :blah:. then proceeded to the glue up phase. now that they are all glued up, it will be off to the cabinet shop for a ride on the big belt sander.

Answers that question. I was wondering how you were going to do the final flattening/sanding. I might try a similar project and take to Tod for finishing. Be a while as I still have to recover.

when you make the boards, do you make them a certain size so they fit into a dedicated mailer, like the usps flat rate box?
and if yo udont mind, what does the guy charge you to run boards through?
At this point Im thinking maybe it pays to sell my 22-44 and just bring the once in the blue moon tabletops and boards to the cabinet shop in my nabe.

Last edited:
you got that right allen. no fun making boards that would be difficult to ship. the last time i had him do that for me, it ran about $35/hr to run them through the sander. nah, don't sell it, use it for smaller runs and sanding other projects. that way, if you feel the urge to sand something at 2 in the morning, you have it there.

Not sure if keeping the sander is worth it.

Im making boards right now that fit in the 12x12 box.

I call them mailers. Ill put a border around these boards to finish them off.

Attachments

• mailers 001.jpg
    mailers 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 28
I love my 16-32 sander. No I don't use it every day but I do use is a LOT. Particularly on figured wood. There is no tearout. I just love it.

Dan, You should make little brass name plates to go on the side. Use little brass screws. It adds a touch of class and distinction.

Those cutting boards are a class act.

got the boards back today from being sanded. then it was make sure that the sides were nice and smooth, and then rounding over the edges. next thing with be the final sanding, and the mineral oil finish.

Attachments

• 034 rounding over edges.jpg
    034 rounding over edges.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 033 back from being sanded.jpg
    033 back from being sanded.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 16
got them all sanded and oiled before the storm hit.

Attachments

• 035 ready for sanding.jpg
    035 ready for sanding.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 036 all sanded.jpg
    036 all sanded.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 039 regular cutting board.jpg
    039 regular cutting board.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 040 housewarming board.jpg
    040 housewarming board.jpg