Earthquake in Japan

Chuck Ellis

Stuart,
has anyone checked on you? Are you far enough away from the epicenter to not have suffered any damage or danger?

I would hate for you to be in your dungeon and have the house fall in on you.

Well, Chuck. To me a big earthquake anywhere in a chain of islands is something to worry about. After all, volcanoes and earthquakes and all that nasty stuff is how islands mainly got formed. But, I am glad Stu is fine. ;)

Sorry for not replying sooner, yes we are fine, heard about the big quake down in Kumamoto on the news just like you guys did, we did not feel anything here in Tokyo.
It has been a bad quake, really destructive, but I have to say that if the same quake had hit just about any other country in the region the death toll would have been so much higher than it is, tragically it is 41 last I heard.

I know some people who are heading down to try and help out, but the transportation network is a disaster as well. I've been tempted and even asked to join them, but I don't think that now is the time, more mouths to feed, more people to house, may not be worthwhile right now, my hat is off to those heading down with their own private vans full of food and such, but the roads are in bad shape.....

7332002-3x2-940x627.jpg
The island of Kyushu is very rugged, with lots of mountains, so the vital supply routes have be cut, and most will take a lot of time to get fixed. At some point I might get down with a team of people to help with rebuilding or at least giving people a temporary place to stay.

Thanks for the concern.

Stu

Sorry for not replying sooner, yes we are fine, heard about the big quake down in Kumamoto on the news just like you guys did, we did not feel anything here in Tokyo.
It has been a bad quake, really destructive, but I have to say that if the same quake had hit just about any other country in the region the death toll would have been so much higher than it is, tragically it is 41 last I heard.

I know some people who are heading down to try and help out, but the transportation network is a disaster as well. I've been tempted and even asked to join them, but I don't think that now is the time, more mouths to feed, more people to house, may not be worthwhile right now, my hat is off to those heading down with their own private vans full of food and such, but the roads are in bad shape.....

View attachment 95364
The island of Kyushu is very rugged, with lots of mountains, so the vital supply routes have be cut, and most will take a lot of time to get fixed. At some point I might get down with a team of people to help with rebuilding or at least giving people a temporary place to stay.

Thanks for the concern.

Stu

You're right about the death toll... Ecuador got hit with a big one too and their death toll last I heard was over 230... I've heard that Japan has some of the best earthquake construction with building set on springs and such...

Glad you and yours are good.