wall hanging triple quilt rack

allen levine

I just winged it, no real plans, just looked at pictures online, and estimated, drew it out as I went along.
And after initial clamping, I realized too many design flaws.
the main one is that I didn't leave enough room between the quilt hangers to show off more of the quilts, Im thinking I should have made it 6 inches, instead of 2 inches.and the side walls should have had more length so I could have shaped the bottom instead of leaving it flat. live and learn, its a process for me. different once I cut things, the way I saw it in my head.
in my defense, I was trying to fit this rack on a wall where there isn't much length since there is a tabletop underneath it.
Instead of starting over, Im going to finish this one, worst scenario, only put 2 quilts on it.
All cherry, will be stained and sprayed.Maybe not stained)
all mortise and tenon joinery, some had to be fine tuned by hand.

I will shape the walls a bit.
I used some round and oval pieces of plastic to form a shape. Then carefully with fluid motion ran the shape thru the bandsaw to avoid a lot of stop and go cut marks.
I then used 220 grit and really hand sanded out any bumps/blade marks on the template. Tedious, but I wanted it smooth so I can run a router bit over it without any bumps.
heres where Im at, Im already thinking about the next 3 or 4 quilt hanger and correcting some of the design.(maybe a wider top on the back top section so I can cut some pattern/curves on it.)
first one, worth finishing, its only 3 feet wide because again, limited wall space.Next one for back room I might go as wide as 44-48 inches.

after shaping side walls, all pieces will be rounded over.

Attachments

• newproject 009.jpg
    newproject 009.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 44
  • newproject 008.jpg
    newproject 008.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 42
  • newproject 007.jpg
    newproject 007.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 43
  • newproject 006.jpg
    newproject 006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I don't have a single piece that I make that hasn't morphed to some extent in an effort to improve the look or function. LOML has been promised a quilt hanger for way too long. Your thread has inspired me to maybe make good this Christmas. I look forward to seeing this one complete and to seeing your alterations as well.

cant do any alterations on this one.
the next one will have some design improvements, mainly it will be longer to show off more of each quilt, but length of side walls is an issue depending on where it will hang.

if anyone still looking here......cut out basic sidewall shape on bandsaw, I don't think Im changing out 3/8 inch blade, seems like its a do it all blade lately.
tape up and attach template.
what it looks like after bandsaw, what it looks like after flush bit.
get roundover bit in, round over all edges, then get out spindle sander, then move to orbital sanding, starting at 80 grit, and hand sand all curves to make sure nice and smooth. will take me most of day now with sanding, never hurts to dry fit pieces here and there....just to make sure.
I have to clean up, change, put the top down, and go pick up elen for lunch today. outta here in 15 minutes, wont be doing much else on project, need to cleanup tonight, yard cleanup we are going north next week till Thursday, and we are hosting a 1st birthday party here next Saturday, so a lot of other stuff to do before we leave.

Attachments

• movinalong 003.jpg
    movinalong 003.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
  • movinalong 004.jpg
    movinalong 004.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 23
  • movinalong 005.jpg
    movinalong 005.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 24
  • movinalong 006.jpg
    movinalong 006.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 25
That looks good Allen. I've had a wall hanging quilt rack cooking in my pea brain for awhile now. Need to make one for the wife so she can hang one from her great-grandmother. After mom passed we were going through her things and I found a top she had finished but not quilted. We got it finished and I'd like to hang it on the wall too.

sanded and glued up. Its a done deal.
Ill stain it tomorrow, put second coat on Saturday, let it dry the week Im away, and spray it sometime first week of may.

my sense of humor, my grand niece is celebrating her first birthday on the 30th. We are hosting the party, not sure where 35 people will fit in my tiny tiny house, hopefully its warm enough outdoors, anyway, I painted a sign to put in driveway so my nephews friends will see the house, and I printed a little sign to attach, just my twisted sense of humor.

Attachments

• next 003.jpg
    next 003.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 26
  • next 001.jpg
    next 001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 28
we came home a day and a half early from our getaway, so I set up at night, a couple of days early. sprayed 6 coats of em6000 semi gloss(what I had left)
I oversprayed the second coat, so I sanded down, resprayed another 4 coats. Its a pleasure having a compressor that can handle a spray gun.Lightly sanded after final coat.
Cherry stain, 4 days dry before spraying.

some of elens first quilts.

small wall, small house, but its better they hang then folded away on a shelf somewhere.(I used an 18 inch wall cleat rated for 200 lbs, so Im not worried about it comeing down)

Attachments

• wallhanger 002.jpg
    wallhanger 002.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 29
  • wallhanger 005.jpg
    wallhanger 005.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 32
  • wallhanger 008.jpg
    wallhanger 008.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
  • wallhanger 001.jpg
    wallhanger 001.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
my daughter asked me if I had time to make her two nightstands for her new apartment.
She loves my amateur work more than I do, so ofcourse Ill make her two nightstands.(my new project to start next week)