Home Depot Canada....rant warning.lol

Rob Keeble

I dont know what it is but so many US brands that have a good offering and showing in the US cross the border and seem to have their brains leak out.

My case in point today is home depot Canada.

Idiots. Thats all i can think of them.

Their website is so bad it leaves you wanting to smash your computer screen due to frustration.
I guess its way too logical for them to have taken the US site and edit out the products they Not going to sell in Canada and then change the currency and terms and conditions part.

Case in point i look up lumber today. Then select cedar. Well it shows they have two pieces. Duh.
So i look up dimensional lumber, and what do you know, mixed in with the spf stuff is cedar.
Guess what they have it listed as .......a brand. Duh

Its the most useless site there is.

Lowes is not much better.

Do they think we stupid this side of the border. We already had the mighty Target fail here big time and the fundamental issue was they did not open the Target store that Canadians had shopped in the US that attracted Canadians to it in the first place. No they opened some watered down non differentiated half baked version, then never stocked it.

I dunno seems to me Harvard needs to up their game for International Business Education.

Just imagine....Rolls Royce putting a no name brand engine in their cars when selling in a foreign market.

Man i envy you guys in US being able to access things you need.

Amazon is no better. They have items from the dot com site on the dot ca site that are like 3 times or more in price. Actually 3 times is often low.
Do they think we dumbasses.

I guess the sad answer is there must be enough dumbasses buying from them on these sites to keep it going.

Sheesh its frustrating. Seriously import duties etc are not huge. In most cases there are not any import duties the biggest thing is courier broker fees for handling the border process.

My apologies for the rant but some days you just gotta let it hang out. [emoji1]

You mean it's like buying Canadian bacon here?? :D Used to buy something called pea meal Canadian bacon in Brockville, Ontario. Loved that stuff. Nothing like the Canadian bacon we buy here.

The grass "SEEMS" to always be greener on the other side of the fence. Till ya git there.

Technically I believe the grass is visually greener because you're seeing it from a side angle instead of from above so the visual surface area of grass to ground is higher "over there". Once you're over their then you're looking down at the grass and thus it once again appears sparser. This can be trivially proven in most yards by walking across the lawn, although it doesn't work in mine due to the prevalence of dandelions and other weeds not to mention the intermittent nature of the grass making it apparent that the lawn is unloved from any viewing angle.

Its worth noting that the Target down here is a bit of a ghost town as well and has been run remarkably poorly since we moved here ~10 years ago. How its still in business is indeed a mystery (I suspect it may be on the long list of stores on the chopping block in the next few rounds).

Naively doing some math I'm thinking that based on taxes (compounded) things should cost between ~130% and ~180% of what they do here. That obviously doesn't answer the question of why a $20 phone costs $120 once you cross the border. I suspect that operating overhead and reduced volume chew up a non trivial amount of the remaining but have no evidence to offer to support that.

Maybe I could entice you with No state income tax, no sales tax, no neighbors, and state run liquor stores at least 40% less expensive than surrounding states :):wave:

You almost lost me with "state run liquor stores" but the "40% less expensive" piques my interest.
Sadly comparing Oregon prices:
http://www.olcc.state.or.us/pdfs/category_price_list.pdf
to some random liquor barn there:
http://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/assets/uploads/files/Aprilpricelist.pdf
shows that its not nearly enough of a different to cover the cost of the move (and certainly writes off the surrounding states if they're 40% more :eek:). It was a bit of shock moving back up here where it's all government controlled from AZ where they have drive through stores :rolleyes:

The "no neighbors" part sounds real good though!! :thumb:

We have mountains over here though...

I mean I realize this isn't your sort of thing, but here's a nice shot from a local watering hole :rofl:

solera1.jpg

It was a bit of shock moving back up here where it's all government controlled from AZ where they have drive through stores :rolleyes:

I thought AZ had some interesting liquor stores... and I think Texas in the Houston area has a couple... you literally drive through the store, stop and the clerk will go get your order and you never get out of the car... an improvement over drive up windows?????:D:D

I thought AZ had some interesting liquor stores... and I think Texas in the Houston area has a couple... you literally drive through the store, stop and the clerk will go get your order and you never get out of the car... an improvement over drive up windows?????:D:D

Yeah we have one of the drive thru beer/wine stores near me. Last week, a group of senior citizens wanted me to drive the Baptist church bus through it. That would have made headlines.

There are several of those drive through things in Fort Worth that I have seen in my travels a bit eastward. Personally, since I don't absorb any type of alcoholic beverage it makes no never mind to me. Rob, on that website problem with HD and Lowe's, honestly I think you are confusing major retailers with a real lumber yard. They are going to do what it convenient for them that costs the least amount of money. Weatherford, Texas is the closest town that has those to me and I certainly prefer Lowe's. But I go there and never worry about the website. I did like what Glenn said about the green grass. Truer words were never spoken.

Rob, you do have government control of everything in Canada. Those controls often make no sense and, from experience, I know it makes doing business in and with Canada very difficult. I don't want to slam your country, but it is a system most Americans would not tolerate. I once bought and sold collectible items internationally. Shipping to and from most countries was routine. But Canada and Australia were, literally, impossible to deal with. I finally had to refuse orders from those countries. It is up to the citizens to make changes or live with what Big Brother tells them to live with.

Rob, you do have government control of everything in Canada. Those controls often make no sense and, from experience, I know it makes doing business in and with Canada very difficult. I don't want to slam your country, but it is a system most Americans would not tolerate. I once bought and sold collectible items internationally. Shipping to and from most countries was routine. But Canada and Australia were, literally, impossible to deal with. I finally had to refuse orders from those countries. It is up to the citizens to make changes or live with what Big Brother tells them to live with.

Party Pooper
:gonnagetit::D

Frank Fusco;450788 I don't want to slam your country said:
I think you just did, Frank.:D

Rob, I hope you found the materials you needed and construction is well underway.

When HD moved into this area 3 or 4 years ago, there was a lot of anxiety among the locally-owned building supply outlets and lumber yards, based on the experience with other big box town killers like WalMart. However, their worries don't appear to have been borne out. The local outfits still appear to be doing most of the serious commercial business with builders and contractors. We don't see a big fleet of HD trucks delivering to job sites. This might be because of the poor service and business attitude that builders have no time for. It's been good news for the local economy.
For serious wood, there's Robert Bury and Eastcoast Specialty Woods just an hour away, both of them being dangerous places for wood hoarders.
The grass is green enough here, except in our sheep pasture, which is a whole other topic.