Dave H .....Turkeys out in full splendor

Rob Keeble

Well it pays to have a good camera and it pays to have it with you.

Was pulling out yesterday morning to pick up son from University and bring him home. Turned a corner and in a field spotted some turkeys about 600 feet away.

I immediately pulled off the road and hopped out the truck and popped off some pics.

Was so cool to watch them and see the strutting by the males and the hens playing politics.

I have zoomed the pics to be able to see a close up of the gobblers.

There were probably about 10 turkeys in the whole group. I think there were three males. Anyway these two were headed for a showdown.

First pic is the guy in the second pic on the left. Then you see the guy in the second pic on the right heading his way.

these are my hens.jpgHeading for a showdown.jpgGobbler in Field with hen.jpg

Man i like watching the animals when you can get this close to them.

Dave i think they been reading our hunting regs, so they know to hang out close to the road here. Great to see the wildlife out and be outside again. Dont know but this year i been hankering to get outside.

Check out the beard on that guy on the right hand side.

Enjoy

Good pics. We get wildlife in our yard daily. Deer are almost a constant. Turkeys come and go, no pattern. When they are in rut they are real fun to watch. Especially when two toms are fighting. The action happens so fast getting pictures is almost impossible. I once had a deer and big tom go at it. Incredible action but it lasted only about fifteen seconds. Wish I could have gotten pics.

They're very entertaining to watch, somewhere else. One of our guys said he saw a couple of them along a back road in central Nova Scotia a few days ago. They are not native here and introducing them is forbidden. If a farmer sees them, the 3 S procedure will be quietly invoked ;)

They're very entertaining to watch, somewhere else. One of our guys said he saw a couple of them along a back road in central Nova Scotia a few days ago. They are not native here and introducing them is forbidden. If a farmer sees them, the 3 S procedure will be quietly invoked ;)

That is sad to hear. To the best of my knowledge there is no downside to having a wild turkey population. In fact, they can be beneficial. They eat ticks and other bothersome tiny creatures. Another unfortunate Big Brother dictum.

Rob, it's always good to see critters running around. I never know when my turkey hens will show up. Just come and go. Haven't seen a tom. Just hens. And, my silly ducks are around but I think they are staying around the stock tanks instead of up here near the house and shop. I have deer come up every morning and evening just about. All I know is that if someone doesn't like my wild critters, then they can simply stay away. If they sneak on the land then they will have to get an education in manners by an old Marine.

Last edited:
Had a great morning in a rain storm, 5 Toms gobbling and then a chain saw started up and a back joe started up in theatea the toms wete in. So I moved across the farm about a mile and set my decoys called once to a tom I heard gobble off in the distance. And 5 minutes later he came into yhe decoys quite. This afternoon we had a family get together and the turkey was cooked on the gril by my son Jon. He can cook. The bird was gone quick. Marinated for 3 hours in Italian creamy dressing and basted with the vinaigrette Italian and was just as juicy and tender very very tasty.
All agreed much taster then store bought dry bland birds.

Attachments

• 20160423_121426.jpg
    20160423_121426.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 1461440598624.jpg
    1461440598624.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10
Nice pics Rob, and nice score, Dave.

I had a run-in with a turkey last night...he was the house soundman running the board for our band at a show. He had a bad ear and an even worse know-it-all attitude. Worst. Soundman. Ever. :gonnagetit:

That would be the pits, Vaughn. :( The temptation for a throttling session would be overwhelming. Find something extremely clear that is nice a slick and grease his toilet seat! Gets them every time! :rofl: