Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: christmas signs project

christmas signs project

did a bit more with the christmas signs project today. cut the parts for the signs during last week's fun. today it was hand sand any odd edges, and ends. then it was on to paint one half of the bunch green, and the other half red. in a couple of weeks (hopefully) once the paint is fully set, i'll put on the blue tape, and head on over to the cnc machine to mill the lettering and borders. one half of each set will be happy holidays, and the other merry christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails merry christmas.jpg   happy holidays.jpg   001 signs cut.jpg   002 signs with light sanding.jpg   003 green ones painted.jpg  

004 red ones painted.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Nice!

BTW...I noticed that Design and make has some free designs, one is a xmas design... http://designandmake.com/project-shop/
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

You're a real machine, Dan!!!

Darren, thanks for the heads-up about the freebees at D&M.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Looks great Dan - most people wait till the last minute to make Christmas things.

back into this one again, now that i have the tostoneras out of the way. time to test out the code. first run went pretty much ok for the lettering, but went deep on the border. the test with the taped board wasn't as good. starting from the same height, and such, it went deeper than expected, and the tape didn't hold too good. i may just wind up cutting the lettering and such with a 60 degree bit, rather than the 90, and skip the painting of the lettering and border as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005 first test.jpg   006 taped test.jpg   007 beginning of lettering test.jpg   008 finish of lettering test.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

when you made me the quilting signs, you added some design work on the sides, it really spiced up the sign, maybe add some art to those signs on the sides.
    Human Test Dummy

Looks good. Some folks have had good luck with contact paper. If you want just the lettering painted, might try doing them a hair deeper and sanding or planing off after painting. The Avery paint mask has been working well for me, cuts through clean, but is pretty sticky and will take some of the base paint with it, so I've been doing a light coat of wax before applying it on some projects. I'm also using a spiral V-bit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-degree-an...Vt0GDohb1jsy7Q), dunno if that is helping since I haven't tried a bit like yours.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Like Darren, I use an Avery mask and it has worked well. I spray the wood with a waterborne sealer, let dry, sand, spray again, let dry, then do a final light sanding before applying the mask. That process has worked fine for v-carving that is at least 1/8" deep.

I've done a couple of projects with etching that is typically about 1/32" deep. In that case, I seal and sand the wood, then apply at least two top coats of finish before carving. I use a 30° v-bit to make the cut. Then, I wipe a contrasting dye or paint color on and quickly begin wiping it off. The color doesn't stick to the finish.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Like Darren, I use an Avery mask and it has worked well. I spray the wood with a waterborne sealer, let dry, sand, spray again, let dry, then do a final light sanding before applying the mask. That process has worked fine for v-carving that is at least 1/8" deep.

I've done a couple of projects with etching that is typically about 1/32" deep. In that case, I seal and sand the wood, then apply at least two top coats of finish before carving. I use a 30° v-bit to make the cut. Then, I wipe a contrasting dye or paint color on and quickly begin wiping it off. The color doesn't stick to the finish.
    Yeah, like Bill I've been sealing with shellac then doing my base color, then applying mask.

I've also seen some pretty cool veneering techniques lately that look quite nice too.
    Darren

not quite sure what i will be doing, but it will involve more testing. good thing poplar is cheap.... lol
    benedictione omnes bene