SCMS Jobsite Stand

Stuart Ablett

I've been wanting to get one of these stand for my Hitachi jobsite SCMS for a while, but the options are not that good here in Japan.

I really like the look of the DeWalt DWX726 stand but with shipping to Japan it is well over $400 and I worry when not in use it will take up a lot of space.

What I did was use this aluminium folding work platform I have and did some mods to my saw to mount it.

IMG_0901.JPG

Here is my DIY Folding SCMS Jobsite Stand.

There are supports that extend out about 120cm (4') on from the cut line on either side, if I need support longer than than I have a folding roller stand.

IMG_0902.JPG

The support tubes run under the saw, I had to jack the saw up a bit so the tubes could clear. The saw and the support tubes are all mounted on one piece of plywood, this acts as a base for the saw. The base is attached to the folding work platform with two knobs that are threaded into an insert that I put on the underside of the platform.

IMG_0903.JPG

The tubes are not super heavy gauge, so I made the supports adjustable up up and down so if the supports are a bit low I can adjust the "T" at the end of the support up.

IMG_0905.JPG

The long supports come out and can be carried separately and in their place on the base of the saw the "T"s slide in and the knob holds them so they don't get lost.

IMG_0906.JPG

When the saw is not being used, the folding work platform can be used as normal.

IMG_0907.JPG

here is the saw in travel form,the plywood base stays in place and like I said the "T"s go into the support tubes for travel.

IMG_0908.JPG

The two knobs that hold the saw to the work platform also get their own keepers so the knobs don't go missing.

We shall see how it works.

Domo

My CMS stand looks identical to that dewalt one, in a grey color, but same exact features.

Trust me, you will like your DIY solution much better. The only think I like about mine are the wheels that make it moveable.

It does not go up and down reliably. The supports are very flexible and weak. It takes up too much space as you have already commented on.

My CMS stand looks identical to that dewalt one, in a grey color, but same exact features.

Trust me, you will like your DIY solution much better. The only think I like about mine are the wheels that make it moveable.

It does not go up and down reliably. The supports are very flexible and weak. It takes up too much space as you have already commented on.

Thanks for the input Brent. Maybe I'll figure out some detachable wheels!
Domo

Very nice Stu, great idea using the platform. I've got the HF miter stand, which is ok, it works but if I was moving it often I'd definitely look for better options. I do have my metal chop saw mounted on 5/8" mdf, which was the right thickness to switch between the SCMS and it. When not in use the metal chop saw sits on a metal shelf. In my old house I had planned for a shelving unit holding it my box planer, sander and a few other tools so I could swap them out with the stand when needed, but have dedicated storage for all and fold away the stand when not needed.

Thanks guys!

scms_stand_workspace.jpg

In the new workspace, sort of, they are using the conference room this afternoon, and bit of a scheduling mistake, so we were able to get the floor covered up and all my tools into place for now, but the real work will start tomorrow.

Cheers!