Starlight Village

Leo Voisine

A few years ago I had a vision of building a small village in my yard. I plan on 3 small buildings with a village green and a muskrat trail with Muskrat express train.

So, as I "NEED" the first small building in Starlight village and as my aging body will not be able to do this stuff for too much longer I have the first in the works.

The main "shed" - er "Village Store" is a 10x12 building with the 8x10 Village Garage behind the Store.

The framing for the store is (3) 2x6x12's with 2x6x~5's at 16 OC. There are 9 foundation blocks.
The framing for the garage is 3 2x6x10's with 2x6x46" at 12 OC. There are 9 foundation blocks.

The walls will be at least 6.5' inside with a 6-12 roof pitch.
2016-Starlight village -1.jpg

2016-Starlight village -2.jpg

2016-Starlight village -3.jpg

2016-Starlight village -4.jpg

This is going to be a LOOOONNNNGGGGGGGG term project. I am thinking 5 years or so.

This year ONE building. After that, I NEED to do other stuff on the house.

MAYBE, one next year. Then one more the year after that.

I am pretty excited about it. I need to have a place to decorate with CNC stuff. Sign for the Starlite Mercantile, which will eventually have a farmers porch. Then something for the Village Garage. BTW - the garage is going to have a sliding barn door - like Norm had. I have lots of ideas for signs to decorate the garage. Remember the old - old YELLOW stop signs. I have a Texaco sign in the works. I also like the Hudson car dealer sign. Then also the John Deere sign.

Next year, Village play house (for the kids), and I need a name for a storage shed, maybe the Starlite garden center.

Year after that, I am thinking about building a fancy chicken coop, but it has to look like part of the village.

I am thinking a fountain in the village green.

This place will be getting decked out for the Christmas season, and maybe fall. Ummm - maybe spring too.

I want to build into the design a doggy play yard.

Right now I think it looks a little dis-proportionate.

With 7' high walls and 10' wide it may be tall and narrow.

I think the next one will be 12' wide with 6.5' walls.

I just got 2 Anderson thermal replacement windows 19" x 22" for free.

I was going to do Vinyl but decided to do the vertical imitation panels.
I have used that on my old shed and my firewood storage shed and they hold up well.

At first I was thinking on matching the house after the house is sided, but is seems everyone does that.
Besides, this is Starlight Village, not just some old shed.
With the sliding barn door and the village look I am after, I want this to be distinguished separately from the house.

Though I don't really want to be painting, these little buildings will be small enough to maintain.
I will use some Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams.
I an thinking something reddish with a creme or yellowish trim.
Maybe Black or Dark Green Shutters.

I know I have not updated for a while.

The storybook shed is progressing, though slower than I would like.

I thought I have more progress pics but I cannot find them.

I am really wanting to do all the frilly stuff too, but that may need to wait a while.

What I need to do is finish the roof and close it in so it will be functional.

I am designing my own sliding door hardware just because the commercial stuff is sooo expensive. I will be using 3" rubber wheels and the now Oak I just had cut. Even though it is green it will work just fine.

2016-Starlight village -9.jpg2016-Starlight village -10.jpg