Al Navas, you ok?

S

Steve Clardy

Heard on the news this morning that you are having some severe flooding from the Missouri River at St. Joseph and surrounding areas.

Thanks for checking Steve! :thumb:

We are doing fine. Our place is high up on a knoll, pretty much the high spot for miles around. BUT we do have flooding all around the region, typically closer to the rivers and creeks feeding the muddy Missouri, and many of the highways and smaller roads are still closed, due to the flooding.

FOX News just reported that the Missouri River will keep swelling, up to about 4 additional feet. THAT will make a larger mess for the folks in the flood plain.

We are thankful that we made it OK, and that our daughter and her lovely family are fine too! She and her family live on the old family farm about 20 miles to our South, in the highest spot in Buchanan County. But I am sure that the ponds and lakes on the farm are getting full, and the soil is getting soft.

We have a St Joseph Woodworkers Guild meeting tonight. Some of the members will have to cross bridges and low spots near the Platte River and some larger creeks to get here. I hope nobody is too daring, as their safety is THE most important thing, not the meeting.

Will update if needed. Thanks again! :wave:

Hey Al!
Send some of that water down here!!! They are trying to burn Florida to the ground. :eek:

DT

Thanks, Steve. It sure has made the news big time! Looks like we will not have any more rain for several days. I do need to get the tractor and create a little channel at the far NE corner, to allow some of the standing water to escape.

Allen, as the roll of TP once told John Wayne, " We are rough and tough - and we don't take no chit from no injun! " :rofl:

Don, I will if the trains cooperate and the fees are low enough.

Thanks for all your thoughts. It is nice to know that at least someone is keeping an eye on things. :wave: My best to all,

Al. You hear about Greensburg, Kansas getting blowed off the map?

I used to live about 30 miles from there.

I think that by now the entire world has heard about it. What a tragedy, with at least ten lives lost, and an entire town to rebuild.

Over at WoodNet several guys are putting together an effort to travel and help rebuild the town. But the warning has already been given that no person is allowed in without some sort of connection to relief organizations. And THAT makes a LOT of sense to me. I will be watching closely, as I am sure that help will be welcome in just about any way, shape, or form.

The TV news here has been showing a lot of discussion about HOW to best improve and maintain the levee system. THAT will cost a bundle. But, if Holland did it and manages to do it, WE should be able to do it too! Most of Holland is below sea level...