Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: on the way home from a days ride

on the way home from a days ride

Man O man, Brad and I are heading south on 270 and right at the weigh station this small SUV in front of me slid off the road and then slammed the guard rail back on and off the road and into the guard rail. My 1st thought the driver is having a heart attack but he was keeping the car off the road and in the grass. Then all I can see is dirt dust , at this point I figured he rolled it, which he did. Brad and I both backed off and let this all unfold infront of us which also keeped everyone else back. This all lasted over a half mile.
    We pull over and a man and wife were very shook up but luckily not injured. His breaks had failed and gas peddle was stuck. A ambulance was heading north and saw the roll over so emergency treatment was there on the scene quick.
    I always give the driver infront of me a good distance. Thank God it all worked out for the good no one was injured and no other vehicles were involved.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Man, glad all were ok and it wasn't worse.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Holy mackerel! What brand of vehicle did that??

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Holy mackerel! What brand of vehicle did that??
    My thoughts exactly.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yeah, glad all is OK. I want to know what kind of SUV is was so not to get in one. Man. Two failures at once. Not good. Not good. Hope my tractor never does that. That could get interesting.

A few years back there was one here that did that (youtube below). As noted in the comments, the car didn't have a key, just one of those proximity key fobs, so the driver didn't have a way to turn off the engine.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've been a fireman and rescue squad member most of my working life (now retired) and I've been to 5 very similar accidents.

If the gas pedal on a 300+ horsepower vehicle sticks down, you can't hold back the horsepower with just the brakes, yet people will try to do this instinctively when panic sets in. The brakes will overheat very quickly and become useless. Then a guard rail, tree, etc. becomes their next choice for stopping their runaway vehicle. In every one of these 5 accidents, the drivers all tried to stop the vehicle with the brakes before the crash, and every one of them failed to even try to do the best thing, "turn the ignition key to the off position." I found the key switches still in the ON position in every one of these accidents.

In 3 of these, the cause of the stuck gas pedal was the accessory floor mat that had worked itself forward, holding the gas pedal down and there was no mechanical problem with the gas pedal itself. The other two accident investigations were inconclusive as to the cause.

If this ever happens to you TURN THE KEY OFF !!!! Then apply the brakes. Some new cars have buttons to start the cars, but all have key switches.

If you use accessory floor mats, attach them to the floor, the front mount of the seat, or whatever it takes to keep them from working their way forward and into the pedal area. My present SUV is a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There is a factory installed hook in the left rear corner area of the driver's side floor board that a metal grommet in the left rear corner of the accessory floor mat fits over, to keep it from moving forward. Not all vehicles have this, but some manufacturers have realized that it is a needed safety upgrade. If your vehicle doesn't have this, do something to anchor your accessory floor mat in place so this doesn't happen to you, but remember to turn the key switch OFF first, if it ever does.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 04-25-2016 at 02:28 PM.

What you said, Charles, makes perfectly good sense. I guess that is why inadvertently I haven't used those extra mats. But, while a Marine for a special assignment I was sent to Quantico to the FBI Academy for an advanced tactical driving school and was taught that in an emergency, if all else fails, turn the key off. Stops the car pretty quick. And I salute you for being a fireman all those years. I know you guys do things as safe as you can do it, but I would much prefer being shot at than going into a burning structure.

Charley, That explains a lot as to why the brakes were not working. Any idea for the keyless cars if throwing the proximity key fob out the window will turn it off or is there an emergency switch in these?
    Darren

Wow another reason not to get a car with one of those fob doo-dads. I never even thought of that problem.

People do funny things when they panic. I was driving with my dad down through the salt river canyon in Arizona, which while not the grand canyon is still hundreds of feet down. About 1/2 way down there's a pull out on the down side and a fellow had lost his brakes and tried to pull into there. Luckily he hit a large boulder which he had pushed out over the precipice so his car was stuck on top of it half suspended in mid air. We were the first people who showed up afterwards and (being the age before cell phones) gave him a ride to the Indian store at the bottom so he could call for help. I asked him why he headed downhill instead of running into the uphill side of the cliff, but he just didn't know, something along the lines of "seemed a good idea at the time". Looking over the edge there were a few previous cars scattered on pieces along the base of the cliff so I guess he wasn't the first one.