Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th Floor Renovation

5th Floor Renovation

If you remember the soundproof studio I built last year, well that client has hired me to build a similar room on the 5th floor of the same building. They just took possession of the 5th floor, which was the former owners personal aparto. It is a very nice space that will be used as part office and part conference room, focus group room and fir parties and even as a gallery.

Looking from what was the living room into the dinning room. The living room will become the conference room and the dinning room the soundproof viewing room.

I have to build a wall where the old folding doors were that will have acoustic glass in it.

Here is my workspace all set up.
    I want to contain the dust as much as I can, so I used the blue sheet and some extendable poles. I put a fan in the window blowing out, to create a negative pressure, this should keep the rest of the 5th floor much cleaner.

That is my work space mostly set up, now I'm just waiting on the client. I need them to have written permission for the renovation from the owner before I start, or technically they are breaking their lease. Don't need that headache.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Had some other stuff to do this am but now I'm going at this wall full speed.
    Got the basic frames up, it will be very solid, as that glass is not light.
    2x6 construction.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

A little more done, but only a half day today.

William Arthur Ward

Another great project. I am sure it will be fantastic.

How do you get all the stuff you need up to the 5-th floor? Is there a freight elevator, or do you do the stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    Another great project. I am sure it will be fantastic.

How do you get all the stuff you need up to the 5-th floor? Is there a freight elevator, or do you do the stairs?
    There is just a regular elevator, and it is on the small side, as this used to be a private residence, the elevator is small, but I get everything up there. The 2x6s I bought 12 footers, but I had to cut them 8 footers to get them into the elevator on an angle. The acoustic glass they want it in one piece, it will have to come up the stairs, that will be a 3-4 man job for sure.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

These are really interesting to see. Are you starting to advertise your specialties for similar work? Seems like building sound proof rooms isn't something that any construction company would do or at least have experience with.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Dumb questions du jour:
    What is a soundproof room used for?
    How do you make it soundproof?
    Are 2 bys in Japan metric?
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    These are really interesting to see. Are you starting to advertise your specialties for similar work? Seems like building sound proof rooms isn't something that any construction company would do or at least have experience with.
    I'm booked solid with work well into July, so no, I'm not advertising.

https://youtu.be/WI56V5SOjd4?t=48s
    In the video above you can see the kind of thing I'm building, at the 0:48sec mark (video might start from that point)
    They do focus group research, mainly for foreign companies, so they need to be sound proof, because there is real time translation going on, and we don't want the focus group to be able to hear someone talking in the viewing room.

Domo
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Dumb questions du jour:
    What is a soundproof room used for?
    How do you make it soundproof?
    Are 2 bys in Japan metric?
    See the above answer, but they are used for focus groups.

I use 2 sheets of 12.5mm drywall (that is the thick stuff here) with a layer of Green Glue between them, then a layer of 12mm plywood, this is so if anything needs to be attached to a wall later it is easy and for the added strength of the wall, think torsion box. Then the studs are 2x6 then in each stud cavity I have two 50mm layers of sound absorbing insulation, then 12mm of plywood and again two layers of drywall with green glue. The viewing portal will be the thick acoustic glass.

Yes they are metric, they are 3657 mm long, 140mm wide and 38mm thick

I am using regular 2x6s but they do have Japanese sized wood here and it is all in funky millimeters but that is because the Japanese trades used to be based on the Shaku which is 11.93" in length, and the Ken which is six shaku or 5.965' the Sun is 1.193" long, but we don't see that used so much anymore.

Domo
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I am using regular 2x6s but they do have Japanese sized wood here and it is all in funky millimeters but that is because the Japanese trades used to be based on the Shaku which is 11.93" in length, and the Ken which is six shaku or 5.965' the Sun is 1.193" long, but we don't see that used so much anymore.

Domo

so sound like a cubit.

of course we all know that an inch is 3 barley corns.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 04-27-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: corrected the size of an inch.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward