Texas Storm s

Chuck Ellis

Dave,
Did you get caught up in those storms that hit the Dallas area... I didn't see all the details, but what I did see sounded pretty nasty.

I know Houston got some rain last week or week before too... I was down there during Allison in 2002 (I think that was the year)... I just remember that I10 about a block from my office had semi's floating down the freeway and downtown was flooded as well as the Galleria on the west side.

I spent about 18 hours trying to get home one night... I only lived 28 miles away, but about 5 miles from the office I decided it would be the better part of valor to pull into a parking lot and wait it out... turned out the parking lot was for a funeral home and four black men came out in the rain and help me to push my car up into the front of the building where we sat from midnight until 3 pm the next day. The gentlemen were sitting up with a body.

Still here!!! It got pretty rough last night but all is well. Just heavy rains and high winds at my place. Not sure about some of my friends down here. Waiting to hear from them. I think the worst of it hit west of me some as well as to the north. I know this one spawned some tornadoes in Oklahoma. Not sure about where else. But, another round is supposed to be coming in on Friday. I've done all I can do to be ready for them. I'm up on top of a big rock hill so at least I don't have to worry about flooding. But, it does put me in a bad spot as far as twisters seem to behave. Keeping the fingers crossed on this weekend. Thanks for asking.

We lost power at 4:30 this morning when it passed thru our area. We even had a tornado warning for our county. One person was killed a few miles from the house when a tree fell on their place. We finally got power back around 11 am. Last week we were land locked for two days because of all the flooding.

My whole region was under a tornado warning. My county and about 20 surrounding ones or more. I lights flickered once or twice during the worst of it around 10pm local time. Lots of rain for a short time and high winds. That was it. Lucky. Dodged another one.

Had one short tornado warning here in west TX. Line of storms hit about 7 p.m. and lasted about 30 min on their way to see Dave. Only got 0.4" of rain and pea size hail. High winds, though. If the ratio continues the way it has the last 2 years here, Dave should have gotten about 4". Lot of wind. Helps my pecan trees get rid of dead limbs, though.

About 3 hours of so of the tornado warning period, it was clear skies. But, I guess the conditions were right and I would rather them be cautious and put it in effect than not. Those nots are the ones that'll git ya! That thing made a heck of a racket and had high winds but the rain was not as much as I would have thought. The band of the storm that passed over me lasted about an hour. My rain gauge said about 1.5". Lots of run off for keeping the lakes and stock tanks full. I have not talked to anybody that has had any damage this time. Just like Steve. Some dead limbs gone is about all. I ain't complaining. Just a bit amazed sometimes with how the weather behaves.