Micro Mesh question

william watts

I am in the finish stage of a bed side table. The top and drawer fronts are figured maple and the finish is oil based General Finishes varnish. This will have to be rubbed out. I have used pumice and rotten stone, but there seems to be a more modern method using Micro Mesh abrasive paper. Has any one used this product? It seems it would be so much easier to just put a disc on your random orbit sander and go to town on it, thru the grits of course. Can a lubricant be used with a random orbit sander? Won't it's dust collection suck up the fluid?

Bill

I've used the micro mesh products on smaller woodturning projects (pens and bottle stoppers, mostly), but I found I could as good or better results with sanding to about 600 grit and then buffing with tripoli, then white diamond compound, followed by wax. On something like a bedside table, I think the ROS-mounted micro mesh would get good results, even if used dry. (I agree that if using a lubricant, you'd want to make sure the sander doesn't have a dust collection fan built into it.)

Same here. Use on pens and other small projects. Very expensive but, my experience, lasts almost indefinately. I have two sets. Second never used after a number of years and many pens, etc. BTW, to rejuvenate, I just toss in laundry but do not machine dry.

It does work well - but much better with lubrication like mineral spirits. On larger flat surfaces, the temptation to use a ROS is high - i have a set of MM discs for my ROS but they don't get used often as the DC fan in my sander prevents the use of lubricants and with the speed of an ROS, using it dry really clogs up the paper fast. Secondly the problem with the ROS is its very easy to burn through your coats if you're not careful.

I use strips of it, by hand, using sanding blocks, with mineral spirits for the lube from time to time. It works fantastic. I can't say you get the most reflective surface shine but it's very good. This is all relative - before I did the last guitar and learned about polishing compounds, the 12,000 grit micromesh surface was the crispest shiny surface I'd ever achieved to that point. Polishing compounds take that to a whole new level.

Jason brings up good points about the micro mesh clogging quickly when used dry, as well as the potential to burn through the finish with the ROS.

Thanks for all help, and from folks who know. I am now thinking I will use micro mesh strips on a wool block, and not use the sander, and will try washing them out when they get cloged. Sending a order for a micro mesh "kit" tonight it includes a series of grits. I will send pics when it's done, going to be awhile.

Bill