Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To our Family Members in the North (Canada)

To our Family Members in the North (Canada)

I have not looked at a map to see who lives where, been hearing about a terrible wildfire and the evacuations going on. Here's hoping all of you are safe and your homes are out of the danger zones.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I'm glad you brought this up, Jonathan! I hope all are well and safe.

My daughter in law called me from Fort McMurray yesterday to tell me they were all OK, but the flames had been a block and a half from their home the day before. The flames were beaten back, but late yesterday they were given a voluntary evacuation order, and decided to leave. She and her sister in law packed a camper with all the stuff they will need for a while, and headed north to the evacuation centre with their three kids. The husbands, one of whom is my son, were at work considerably north of the city. They were told they might have to stay at the mine overnight, as the buses that run them back and forth to work were assisting in the evacuation. I have been a bit stressed over this, but the kids keep calling me with updates, and letting me know that they are safe. Safe is good, but I hope they don't lose their home. It is at the edge of town, with the forest just across the road. The fire has already jumped the Athabaska River in spots, so the daanger to the property is real. The DIL sent me some pictures with the water bombers and helicopters working so close it looked like they were right over the houses.

They plan to live in the camper, and not take up room in the evacuation centre, which other people may need more.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Ok, change of plans. They are all on their way to Edmonton, 400km south of Fort Mac, and will find a campground there for the duration of the emergency. Edmonton's a big city, with lots of things to keep the kids distracted, and keep everyone well fed.
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Here's some drama:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort Mac fire 2016.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	95641 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water bomber.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	95640

The "Pray for.." picture was taken by a pro photographer friend of my DIL. the water bomber was taken by my DIL. It was bombing the fire just across the road.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The entire town of Fort McMurray has been evacuated (80,000 people) and 160 structures, mostly homes in the south part of the town have been destroyed. My son lives in the north part of town, so is OK so far as regards their home.
    Cheers,
    Roger

I cannot imagine this Roger. I hear of abandoned vehicles along the road due to running out of gas and no gas to be purchased in town. (empty tanks and a huge fire, yikes!)
    Roger, are any of our family members in that neighborhood?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

My cousin's husband is up there, he is a weldor and works at one of the camps, I hear he is OK, but boy this is a big setback for the area.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water bomber.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	95640 ...
    That picture is alarming, comforting, and interesting. I know from experience that it's fascinating to watch the aerial attack on a fire, but not so much fun watching it from your front yard. Sounds like your son and his family are doing the right thing by getting out of there for now.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That picture is alarming, comforting, and interesting. I know from experience that it's fascinating to watch the aerial attack on a fire, but not so much fun watching it from your front yard. Sounds like your son and his family are doing the right thing by getting out of there for now.

i havnt seen it from front porch but i have from my tree stand.. and those fire fighters, the pilots or the ground crew are amazing folk.. hope it skips over to the next hill top rather than the next suburb.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!