Too much information

Roger Pozzi

Has anyone had an open surgery to repair an abdominal aortic aneurysm ?
I had stent grafts placed in mine 12 years ago and 2 years ago, after a heart cath, it was found that they had separated and more stent grafts were placed inside the originals overlapping the separation. Long story short, those too have separated and the surgeon wants to do the full open surgery for repair.
After a lot of study on the very friendly internet, I am now scared to death.
I was told I'd be in the hospital 7 to 9 days, and then have a 6 to 8 week recovery at home. At my age that is a very, very long time, and, after some of the articles that I've read, is possibly the best case scenario.
So, I wondered if anyone here has had this procedure and can offer some words of encouragement.
Thank you

Our prayers are with you these unsettling times. Keep a positive outlook and things will turn out just fine. Doctors nowadays can work miracles.
David

Roger,
I don't know what the abdominal aortic aneurysm is and how it affects the body, but a few years back I wound up with an umbilical hernia... a bulge about the size of a large orange just above my navel... it became strangulated and a trip to the ER resulted in emergency surgery the next morning... I spent 5 days in the hospital, couldn't go home until a BM... but they didn't feed me anything but ice for 5 days. I was restricted to bed for the first 3 days, then allowed(required) to take walks around the hallway... biggest problem I ran into was the ice gave me the hiccups and I had an 8 inch incision that was stapled together down the middle of my belly... hiccups were NOT fun.

Wishing you the best and get well soon.

I can relate to the anxiety. I had a quadruple bypass that required ripping me open from darn near the adams apple to groin area, and then cracking my ribs open. I was cutting the grass a week later. I was in for a total of 7 days, 3 of which were over a long weekend and consisted of only monitoring. Surgery on Monday and released on Thurs.

Better to to be worried over the procedure than waiting for it to rupture and who knows what that would lead to....Hang tough, we'll be pulling for you!

Roger, my aneurysm was above my right armpit a little bigger than a roll of lifesavers. It actually ruptured and caused a blockage in my right arm's artery at the elbow. So I originally had a double bypass for that but upon closing still did not have a pulse in my right arm so a month later went in and they took a vein out of my left leg and turned it around and made it into an artery in my right arm from wrist to armpit. Both times since I did not use their morphine, I was released from ICU the day after surgery. I wasn't real spry as those groin incisions tend to cause pain. But the right doctor, following orders and allowing healing time it should work out well. Good wishes being sent to you! :thumb:

Roger, I've had my share of heart problems but never had to go under the knife for them. But, I've had my share of a bunch of major surgeries and I understand where you are coming from. One of my gunshot repair surgeries the doctor had some permission forms for me to sign afterwards because I couldn't sign them before hand. They had to remove and alter a few things here and there but technically was supposed to have my signature before hand. No family within about 1700 miles so my direct boss told them just do it and sign stuff later. All I can say is trust the doctors and all will go well.

When I had my serious health problems last fall the first thing I was told was to "stay off the internet" All you do is scare the crap out of yourself with way too much information. Just listen to your doctor and nurses for the best advice on what to expect.
Best wishes and prayers for a healthy recovery.

I was told I'd be in the hospital 7 to 9 days, and then have a 6 to 8 week recovery at home. At my age that is a very, very long time, and, after some of the articles that I've read, is possibly the best case scenario.
Thank you

Compared to the six months my brother in law spent in an induced coma when one of those things burst, that's a teatime.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. After talking with my cardiologist, and another vascular surgeon, I'm going into this with a little better outlook. Now I'm just working toward increased faith.