Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear activity

Bear activity

SATURDAY afternoon I movedmy turkey set up to a bottom trail thats between 5-10 wide ith a nice creek. I took a cat nap and when I woke up I looked up the trail and see a dark mass through the bushes. Thinking itlooks like a large turkey fan I give a few clucks and then the hugh black bear appears 35-40 yards. He looks at the set up and my mind starts to go into; what will I do ? He moved on across the trail and up into the woods. I gathered the decoys and move the other way. My day was done. Bird shot is no match for a bear.
    Thats my 1st encounter with a beast, I also hit a deer with the van in the early hours and that was a 1st.
    I knew that bears were in the area and never gave it a 2nd thought. Time to carry a sire arm in that area.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Probably didn't care for the smell of a human losing bodily fluids suddenly. Glad it was a non-event.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00small59501356.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	95742
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 05-11-2016 at 03:29 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Here's a few pictures of a brown bear I found in our camp once when I was up camping up in the Yosemite area.

We were out fishing and I went back to camp to get something. Found this guy going through my pack. I kept thinking, I can get closer and take a better picture. After a while I though that was probably a stupid idea and went and got my buddy. We came back and found the bear going through my pack eating a packet of gatorade mix slobbering like a freak. We started throwing pine cones at him and he went about 30 yards away and laid down and took a couple hour long nap. WE just kind of ignored him after that and made sure we had our food and stuff hung up really high in the trees for a bear hang. That night he came back and knocked over a tree and got the rest of our food. Fortunately, it was our last day out there. Pizza never tasted so good when we got back to a town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	95744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	95743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	95745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	95746
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've run across quite a few black bear and usually they don't worry me to much. The ones that are a bit too friendly around campsites and garbage dumps can be a problem but the ones you see out in the woods are usually pretty happy to hit the hills if you give them half a chance.

One time though I was out hiking with the dog and popped up over a rise and about 20' in front of me is a big old momma bear standing up on her hind legs. Without moving much I shifted my eyes to the right and sure enough there's a cub up the tree beside the trail, eyes to the left and same thing. So I slowly grabbed the dogs collar and walked us backwards over the hill for about 50' keeping my eyes on her. She never moved until past when I couldn't see the top of her head anymore. At about 50' back we were behind the hill and I heard a wuff and some crashing about and figured I was either in for it or in the clear, luckily it was the latter. Grizzly bears are a while nother story though, if that had been a grizzly I wouldn't be writing this.

What sort of hand cannon were you thinking of carrying? The lighter stuff kind of makes me nervous against bears, cause if they get thier dander up before the lead starts flying it just kind of makes them angry.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    What sort of hand cannon were you thinking of carrying? The lighter stuff kind of makes me nervous against bears, cause if they get thier dander up before the lead starts flying it just kind of makes them angry.
    Clearly this is the sign I need to watch the Revanant. The bluray is on the counter.

I wonder where the sweet spot is for control versus caliber. I love my Sig Sauer .45, I can shoot it like I was pointing my finger. The .44 mag, however, is a completely different story in control.

I'm sure I could put a few .45 on target, just not sure about it with the .44 mag.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Didn't Jeremiah Johnson use a .50cal Hawken rifle?

Yeah, considering how poorly most of us do when in a hurry, bring able to quasi reliably put a half dozen rounds down range seems like it ought to up your odds a little as opposed to hoping for that one good one.

Although if it was a black bear I'd have to think real hard about escalating versus just standing tall and hollering back. Most black bear charges are bluffs so your best bet is usually to just stand them off. They usually aren't that interested in tangling, even momma's with cubs will usually give you a fair chance to retreat.

If it's a grizzly I wouldn't give you the same odds as a pickle in a sandwich with most handguns though. 12 gauge with slugs. Otherwise your best bet is to just poop your pants, play dead and hope he don't like the smell.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Yeah, That bear in my pictures, we started calling him 'Yogi'. He literally had no concerns with us even when we were chucking pine cones at him. He gave us about as much regard as I'd give a squirell.

Our most lethal weapon was a swiss army knife.

I did see a momma bear with a cub off in the distance during the hike up, but she was another brown bear and really didn't seem concerned. This was a pretty commonly used area. Not back country, but not really populated garbage dump area either. It was up above the hetch hetchy resevoir about 10 miles in.

So they were pretty used to humans I think.

If I was hanging around in bear country, I'd probably have one of my .44 mag revolvers, although one of the 1911s in .45 ACP would likely be better for follow-up shots. Faster reloads, too. (Both of my .44 mags have ported barrels, though, so the recoil isn't any worse than a .357 or so.) Still, I train with the 1911s, but don't shoot the revolvers much.

True story: My nephew J works at the gun counter in a local hunting and fishing store. A customer came into the store a couple of years ago wanting to buy a .357 mag revolver. He said he was going fishing in Alaska and wanted a sidearm for bear protection. J suggested that he consider a .44 mag or a .454 Casull, since a .357 mag is a little light against an Alaskan brown bear. The guy got all cocky and declared that he knew how to handle a gun, and the .357 would be more than enough. So J sold him a .357 mag.

A few months later, the same guy comes into the store and tells J he wants to buy a .454 Casull revolver. J asked him what happened to the .357 mag he'd purchased. The customer said "Well, after I emptied it and threw it at the bear, he did this to me." Then he turned around and proceeded to drop the back of his pants enough to show J the scars from claw marks on his butt. So J sold him a .454 Casull.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The first wife and I were on vacation up at the Diamond D - guest ranch in Kings Canyon National Forest -.... the guests were all outside the dinning haul in an enclosed picnic area with a big campfire going and sitting around talking. The picnic corral had two entrances, one by the dinning hall and one at the other end near where the cook's tent was.... a big bear came wandering up the trail from the river, through the entrance by the dinning hall and meandered over to the table to see what was for dinner. The ranch owner's cabin was on the other side of the bear so he couldn't get to it to get his rifle. One of the guests grabbed a couple of pans and banged them together to scare the bear... he charged, the guest dropped pans and ran and the bear turned back to check out the table.... then just moseyed on up the trail towards the cooks tent.

Yosemite used to re-locate their problem bears up into the area, but that was the only one I ever saw on three different vacations to the place.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.