Roped in again, dang it!

Paul Downes

I have some good friends who own a catering company. I helped build some things for their commercial kitchen. Our daughters are best friends. They give us leftover event food because they hate to waste it and are sick of eating it. We often give it away to needy families because we are rather tired of bourbon chicken, roast beef, etc. It is quite good, you just can't eat it all the time.

When we have them over for dinner I try to cook something unusual, just being sensitive to worn out palates. I smoked a full brisket last year for one such dinner.

So 2 each of our daughters have graduated from both high school and college.

They want smoked brisket and grilled chicken for the joint graduation party.

Threw 6 briskets (cabs) on the grill today and fortunately have a case of beer handy for the 16-17 hours it will take to get them to an acceptable culinary state.

Rub was; brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, dry mustard, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, clove powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, anise seed, turmeric. I think that's it.

Will make a mop sauce later.. Perhaps vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, dark beer?

I will take a few pics of the grill if I get to it. Smoking / heating with hickory, mesquite, and hopefully cherry wood. I will throw in some red oak if I can find it. Might have to go cut down a cherry tree.

Got to go fetch 50 lbs. of chicken leg quarters for tomorrows party. I like to marinate those with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika, mesquite seasoning, garlic & onion powder salt and pepper.

I guess this is the punishment one gets for building an event grill. :D

Hmm...if I load up my car now, I can drive there in about 22 hours. Food will probably be all gone by then. Maybe I should fly. Google maps says that'll only take about 4 1/2 hours. :huh: :)