Cutting Metal

Looking at several options to cut metal: Harbor freight 4 x 6 Band Saw or Grizzly G0622 vs Metal Chop saw like Dewalt DW872 or Evolution 380 Raptor.

Any one has any experience with one of the above. Pros & Cons? Review. Another preferred brand within the same category?

I know there are other options like plasma, angle grinder, abrasive disc etc but I am looking for a less expensive method and cuts that don't require correction.

I gave my metal cutting chop saw away. Just didn't do it for me. Got the HF bandsaw. Think it is a good bang for the buck. Handles everything I throw at it. YMMV.

Looking at several options to cut metal: Harbor freight 4 x 6 Band Saw or Grizzly G0622 vs Metal Chop saw like Dewalt DW872 or Evolution 380 Raptor.

Any one has any experience with one of the above. Pros & Cons? Review. Another preferred brand within the same category?

I know there are other options like plasma, angle grinder, abrasive disc etc but I am looking for a less expensive method and cuts that don't require correction.

I have the import bandsaw and have use it often. But the question is what are you wanting to cut. Mine doesn't cut very square in the vertical direction and all the tweaking in the world hasn't fixed it. Others have been square out of the box. Mine is an older version from Grizzly. I actually bought it in a whim when I was buying my 14 inch band saw to keep me from being tempted to cut metal with the 14 inch wood saw. I have ended up using the metal tutting bandsaw much more than the 14 inch woodsaw. I am assuming that none of the you mention are good with thin metal without doing a little mucking around..

Garry

If you've got the room, the 4x6 would be nice. I've got the handheld metal bandsaw from HF and I have to say, It's lasted longer and done more work than I ever expected from it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-Amp-Deep-Cut-Variable-Speed-Band-Saw-Kit-62800.html
62800_zzz_500.jpg

That table is a cool idea.

Not 130$ worth of cool, but I bet I could rig something up that would work the same!

I just purchased a Hf bandsaw and between it an my 4 1/2 " grinder they will do for what i want to cut up.
Check out this video it shows a simple stand for Hf portable bandsaw.
One tip if u want one, hold out for the sale price $99 US.
ALSO make sure to buy some metal blades for it ..they available at HD and Lowes.
https://youtu.be/Yz9oT7ltl4M

Check out how diresta makes these saw horses and makes use of a saw like this to give you an idea of what its good for,

https://youtu.be/1sn62Cq5xXY

Also if you have a clear idea of lengths of metal, then the metal supply company will usually cut to length your tubing needs. Whats left is then just smaller cuts.

Last edited:
That's a pretty cool looking stand too.

Picture worth a thousand words, or 4:51 of video.... Could whip something like that up from scrap I've got laying around.

hfbandsaw.jpg

Thanks guys.

Carol, good to know that it is a reliable machine.

Garry, I will be cutting steel tubes less than 2 x 2 in size and cut steel pieces less than 1/4" thick. Simple stuff.

Thanks for the portable band saw suggestion. Something to think about.

Rob, thanks for the video links. I am sure I can weld up a stand like that, once I get my welder. Darren, that table is nice but just like Brent I find it expensive.

Last edited:
You need both.... :D

If you get a chop saw get the slow speed cold cut saw, I have the Evolution brand and it is OK, I wish I could have got the more expensive version with the cast base not stamped steel base, but they did not offer it in Japan.

That thread is >> HERE <<

For cutting up a bunch of parts the cold cut chop saw is great, and it is a LOT faster than a bandsaw. The carbide blade on the chop saw can be sharpened the bandsaw blades are consumables.

Just some more stuff to think about.

Domo

Last edited:
It looks to me like the Evolution brand is not doing so well, lots of complaints. The saw I have is OK, but not great, I wish I had spent double the money and got a higher grade of saw, a Makita or Hitachi.

I looked around on Amazon and this saw gets good reviews and is about the same money as the more expensive Evolution saw.

The one Ted links too is worth a look too.

Domo

Ted, the Northern Tool saw looks good and the price is good too. There are some 20$ off coupons floating around on the net which will lower the price a bit more.

Stu, the MK looks good but it is more money than I am willing to spend. On the other hand Dewalt DW872 has pretty good reviews and I can get it for $400 from Grizzly.com with free shipping (I have a $25 off shipping coupon).

Decision time.