making decals

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I need a new decal that goes around the ignition switch on Big John. How does one go about making their own decals? Many John Deere decals are available but not all! And what is available is very pricey. I have a laser printer. It would be black on white.

Is this doable?

Well, that got complicated! First, thanks, Don, for the lead. The rabbet hole went on for a bit. Materials are a bit pricey and use an ink jet printer. Haven't had one of those in decades.

So back to looking for a ready made decal with a new appreciated as to cost. Finally found one for $11. Yikes, but the kit was much more money. Another problem solved.

Well, It all depends. Do you have a sample of the artwork?

There are a couple of problems with printing things like this.

1) Material
Ideally you'd want something printed on vinyl, and for it to be waterproof. Thats not a huge issue, but the thing I'm trying to come to terms with is protecting against UV fading.
2) Cutting it out.
Sure you can use an exacto knife or scissors, but how accurate or smooth can you make the cutouts?

If only you knew someone who had an inkjet printer and one of those little craft cutters and who had access to some kind of clear coat uv protection spray paint.

Hey, Wait a sec, I might know someone.

Whats the artwork look like?