Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tostonero mk 2 project

tostonero mk 2 project

with a bit of inspiration, and 8 extra boards of cherry, i decided to make the other kind of tostonero. i've set up cnc code to hollow out the dish, and engraving the words 'burro viejo' and 'tostonera' on the paddle part. i've laid out the design on the first board, which will serve as a template for the others, jointed one edge, and ripped them to width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 tostonera mk2 laid out.jpg   002 cherry boards for tostonera mk2.jpg   003 boards ripped to width.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Very cool!

BTW, you may have one, but if not, it looks like that sanding tube is getting pretty built up, these work great... http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71002...dp/B00AJW0CY8/
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

thanks darren! i've got one that i've put to good use, just not after the last time... lol

now i have to cut all the parts, then wait until i can get at the cnc, so that i can do the finishing cuts.
    benedictione omnes bene

now that i can get back at all of my tools (nephew moved his furniture), i went to town on the tostoneras. first i cut all of the handle and flap parts. then rough cut around the lines of the handle. then sanded to the lines. after that, i rounded over the edges of the handle, drilled the hole, and rounded over the edges (won't do that on the others, learned a lesson there). then i got a pic of both parts together. i may do the cnc routing part tomorrow morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004 flaps and handles cut.jpg   005 handle rough cut.jpg   006 handle sanded to line.jpg   007 handle edges rounded over.jpg   008 handle hole cut.jpg  

009 handle hole rounded over.jpg   010 both parts together.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

pulled the cnc out of its winter sleep today. set it up for cutting the dished out part with the 1/4" bit. it started out ok, but then it started some monkey business, trying to cut its way through the board, instead of only 1/4". oddly enough, i found that the collet nut was loose (thought it was tight, i know, famous last words). so i moved on to the engraving (much easier i hoped). it did the engraving ok, but it seemed to be light on the right hand side. could have been wrenched a tad when the other bit tried to get to china. i'll need to move the bottom text to the left a bit to center it a bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011 ready for pocketing.jpg   012 pocketing results.jpg   013 engraving test.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

worked on the handle parts today. got them all cut, and sanded to the lines. then drilled the hanger holes, and rounded over the edges of the handles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014 handle parts rough cut.jpg   015 handle parts sanded to line.jpg   016 hanger holes drilled.jpg   017 handle edges rounded over.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    ... i found that the collet nut was loose (thought it was tight, i know, famous last words). so i moved on to the engraving (much easier i hoped). it did the engraving ok, but it seemed to be light on the right hand side. ...
    Something you need to check routinely is dust in the collet - needs to be blown out after each use. As a part of my routine, I run a quick flatten cut on my base board to be sure it's dead on with the bit before any etching carves.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

back at it again today. got the issues settled, and went on to make the indents in all of the parts. fixed the small problem with the engraving (moved the text over a bit). then did all of the engraving. all that is left is the sanding, fitting out the hinges, and the final oiling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 018 testing new setup.jpg   019 result of test.jpg   020 first good one from middle.jpg   021 all indents done.jpg   022 engraving sample.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

Now you cooking with gas Dan. 👍
    cheers

finished them yesterday. got the sanding done, and put on the hinges. then gave them a good coat of mineral oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 023 all hinges installed.jpg   024 all oiled.jpg   025 finished closeup.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene