Friday 5/20 edition

Friday evening was a romantic 10th anniversary dinner with my wife. (Cracker Barrel is romantic, right? :D That's where she wanted to go.)

Saturday and Sunday will be various combinations of house and yard stuff, and hopefully a bit more time spent sorting out the garage/shop space. I'd like to get some stuff moved out and some other stuff -- like a few tools -- moved in.

Sunday morning my wife and I are planning to join up with one of my bandmates and his wife and head out to some nearby BLM land to do a bit of shooting. Both wives are wanting to get a bit more experience with handguns, but neither of them feel confident enough to shoot at a public range. (They both seem to think others will be watching them and caring about how well they shoot, lol.) The ironic part is that both are pretty decent shots...they just need to gain experience and the confidence that comes with it.

Im having a wonderful weekend so far.
yesterday I got to sit in 1.5 hours traffic to go what is usually 15- 20 minutes to my daughters place.
then got to sit in another 1.5 hours traffic to go home.
today, I got 20 minutes in the shop, then had to food shop, and take my wife, in similar traffic, out to joanns fabric because, well, frankly, I don't know why, she has enough fabric to open her own store, but she asked me to take her, so back into Long Island summer traffic, and coming home was no different.

Its like the story my grandparents all told me how spoiled us kids are, how they had to walk to school, in worn out shoes, 8 miles, all uphill, then had to come home 9 miles, all uphill again.

and tomorrow, I get to do a bunch of mundane chores, like clean out the dust collector, vacuum, clean up my office, tie up the cardboard, take out the trash, go to the market again, the excitement of it all is a bit overwhelming at times.

and then Monday, to top off this great weekend, Im letting some stranger into my home, and letting her assault me with a deadly weapon.(not really, but she is a stranger, and she will be shoving needles into my veins)

ah, sometimes its tuff living the vida loca.

Last edited:
So you got to spend quality time with your lovely daughter and wife, and do a little piddling around in the shop, and tomorrow you get to play around some more all by yourself?

Sounds like a great day!

I was tied to my computer all day today creating software for people who will no doubt not appreciate what I have done and will tell me how much they want certain parts of it changed in small and incredibly annoyting ways, and I get to do more of that tomorrow, and the next day, and on, and on and on.

I'll trade you!

Drove 3 hours to Dallas for a "flash wedding" for one of my nephews. Arrived at the venue 15 min early & found LOML and I were the only ones there so far. Rest of the party arrived about 30 late - which is on time for that branch of the family. Wedding was held in a sculpture garden ... they didn't know about it. Just before the "I do"s, security arrived. Nice guy said make it quick and keep it quiet. We did. Was a lovely wedding for a great couple. The rest of the party headed to the next meal and LOML and I got back in the pickup and drove home. Oldest son's wife was there waiting for us. She's moving from GA to El Paso, TX to join oldest son next week when he gets home from 2 years in Saudi. He's headed to Ft Bliss to take command of a battalion there. Papa is proud of him. And he'll only be 6.5 hours away.

Tomorrow is church and family and probably lots of eating. Life is good.

Just a portable gas powered. Having a 30 amp plug put on the side of the house to plug it into and a manual transfer switch.

Will have it run to a few essential circuits in the house, like the well pump, the fridge/freezers.

The power used to be pretty reliable out here but we have had a few several hour long outages and one that lasted a few days this winter.

Will be nice to be able to just keep the basics going...

I'm assuming you don't have natural gas out there. What about propane?

A Generac or Kohler automated standby generator, propane powered, would sure be an improvement over your manually started and transferred setup. Even starts and runs if you're not home during an outage.

We like ours. Keeps the sump pumps, furnace and freezers operating. We've had a couple multi-day outages in freezing weather.

No basement, so no sumps to worry about. Power is pretty good (knock on wood) and usually comes back quick enough. Had a multi day outage this winter though.

It would be nice to have an automatic whole house system, but would rather just go off the grid someday with solar/wind and battery backup.

This will be a HUGE improvement over running extension cords and will keep all the key systems running.

Well, all I did Friday and Saturday was move logs to my log yard. Mostly hackberry. Luckily the majority of the work was able to be done with the loader and tractor. Had to do some cutting but not a lot. My back is not quite back up to snuff and where we were all the breeze was blocked off and REAL MUGGY!!! :( I don't know how much I lost from sweating so much, but even my jeans were soaking wet. Oh, well. The work is done. More wood to get but it is still standing and can wait a few days. Today got to play in the shop for a while. Wheeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!