Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm back

Mountain Home, Arkansas

I'm back

Family, it has been a rough road and I have not reached end yet. But, today I was discharged from the hospital and am home. For those who may not know, I hade a quintipule (that's 5) artery by-pass. This is a chest opening and heat stopping procedure. As surgeries go this ranks as major-major serious.
    My heart history previously was, I had no heart history.
    OK, in the hopes it will help others, here is my story:
    Friday night I was getting ready for bed and anticipating a meeting the next day almost 3 hours driving from my home. As I was doing this I suddenly got an overwhelming urge to close my eyes and go to sleep. Plus I was sweating profusley and had a small amount of chest tightness. But there was no pain and I was breathing OK. So, I went to bed.
    The next day I fet fine, got up and went to the day long meeting plus the six hours driving.
    That night as I was undressing I got some sharp pain on the left side of my chest, not a lot but some. I also had pain down my right arm. This was enought to tell me I needed checking out. Our daughter was visiting and I had her take me to ER.
    That is where it started. We are fortunate to have a great heart surgeon in my town. He did what was needed.
    However, when I woke up in CICU and the nurses tried to walk me this was the worst experience of my life. I never have felt more helpless or weak. I honestly felt like if this was to be my life I wished they had let me die. But, they were great nurses and encouraged me to do what was necessary. Each day there was small improvement and some of my strength came back.
    So three weeks later, I'm home. I'm restricted to what I can life (no shop time) but improvement is expected daily. They say it will be a minimum of eight weeks for full recovery. I'm hopeful.
    Those of you who contacted me contributed greatly to me recovery. The friendship and well wishes had a profound effect on my spirits. Better than any pills any time. Thank you.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

ABQ NM
    Yay! I'm glad to see you're still among the living and that you're back home, Frank. Here's to your steady and complete recovery.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Portland, Oregon
    Welcome back Frank! I had a Quad by pass in 2004, it ain't no picnic, but sure better than the alternative! And especially listen to your Doctor!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Melbourne, FL
    Not sure of the exact time frame but I had similar surgery many years ago.
    I went into rehab unable to open the door and it was an easy door to open.
    Something like 8 or 10 weeks later I was using the rowing machine.

Hang in there Frank. Do the exercises and your strength will come back.

You know the real job of a Physical Therapist?? To push you a little further than you would go on your own because it hurts to much.

Tokyo Japan
    Glad you are still with us Frank!

Here's to a nice speedy recovery!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Reno NV
    Wow! Pretty scary stuff Frank! WElcome back and here's to a speedy recovery!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome back Frank. Take it easy and get some rest.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Parker County, Texas
    Ouch!!! That's a lot to go through, but Frank; you're the man!!! Get better. I simply imagine it will take a while so do not rush it.

Nova Scotia, 45°N 64°W
    Welcome back Frank!
    Glad to hear you're on the mend. I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.