Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of computer are you using?

What kind of computer are you using?

Just curious what kind of computer everybody is using. I've used PCs my whole life but I am planning on switching over to a Mac when the new OS comes out this fall. I have been studying up on them a lot lately, and Macs just seem to suit my work style more than PCs do.

I will probably install Vista at some point as well though to take advantage of the Windows only apps and ofcourse, the video games. Right now, I am using Windows XP and I wish everyday that it was OSX.

So what are you using, and what OS do you have running your computer? Also, while we are on the subject, what design software do you use, if any. Besides SketchUp, that is.

EDIT: I just realized that this could easily turn into an argument over which OS is better, so before that happens, I just wanted to say, that I didn't make this with the intent of debating the OSs I just want to know what everybody is using.
    Last edited by Allen Grimes; 05-08-2007 at 08:37 PM.

HI Allen. My system is a home brew. The major components are

Intel motherboard with 925 chip set and a 3.1 Ghz Intel processor.
    1 GB of Crucial memory.
    Video card is an ATI V3100, PCI Express.
    Adaptec 160 scsi card.
    Seagate 34 GB scsi drive.

Audio and ethernet are on the motherboard.

510 Watt PC Power & Cooling power supply.

The case is a tall tower that is now housing its second power supply and third motherboard.

Windows XP Pro with all recommended maintenance.

LOML's system is a Dell with Windows media edition installed.

In the past, I have had up to 5 scsi disks in the system. In addition to windows I have had OpenBSD, FreeBSD, RedHat Linux, Bos spinning. The only disk powered up now is the Windows XP. Since I retired, my interest in the Unix world is faded away.

The reason I run Windows XP is that it is the de facto standard, like it or not. I don't have to worry about software compatibility.

My main computer is one that I built and I installed Mandriva Linux on it. I have been using Mandriva, formally Mandrake, for about five or six years now and really like it. I use it ninety eight percent of the time. I have a back up HP Pavilion that has XP on it. I just started it up recently to put SketchUp and Cutlis Plus on it. That is probably all that I will use it for unless I find another app that I need that will not run on Linux.

For me there are some huge advantages to running a good Linux distro but if you are not going to do that I think that Mac could be a good choice.

I had to come back and add that all is not easy when you start with Linux. There are some things that will drive you crazy until you learn what you need to do to get around the problems then most things are very easy but some are impossible. Most of the problems are created by guess who.

I guess that like Ken said, if you want it really easy you have to go along with Mr. Big.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-09-2007 at 02:11 AM.

Dell Dimension 2350, about four years old. Longest I have ever had one computer last. It is a P4, 2.2, 512 ram and 30 giggers in the hard drive. I have had great success with Dell products and consider them the best value on the market. Only downside is that I have to speak with people who dunna talka da unglesh velly gud when using tech support.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I have run PC based machines since my Atari ST bit the dust....and was ready to make the move to Mac until this last few days.

I have been interviewing schools for my own entrance into a "higher learning" institute! Quite the experience.

My intent is to return to school and get a degree in Digital Design/ Graphics and I fully expected the classes to be based on the Mac platform....none of the 7 schools I talked to required Mac and only 2 had programs that could be completed on either one!

So, guess I'll just continue with this tired old PC with some upgrades....but, those upgrades will not include Vista!

Doug

I forgot to mention that I have a toshiba laptop and that it is 5+ years old. It is also my longest lasting PC and even though it dies everynow and then and I have to find new and creative ways to bring it back to life, I do think that it will last me until I get a new computer and beyond.

I also wanted to point out that when I get a Mac, I wont be giving up Windows, I will just be using it as my secondary OS. If I had to choose between one or the other, Im not so sure I would get a Mac. I may still, but I can't say for certain. That said, I dont have to choose since Macs can now run Windows.

My only real problem with Macs is that they don't support the new high-end graphics cards that are necessary to run DX10. I am hoping that that will change in the future though.

To Doug, I am curious, why don't you plan on upgrading to Vista? Is there a specific reason or do you just not see a need?

I'm using an HP laptop right now, bout a year old, can't remember all the specifics offhand as they don't seem to matter as much as they used to. This one is a dual boot with the XP that came on it and PClinuxOS, which I use about 95% of the time. Used to use linux/UNIX a lot at work, and the habit stuck, especially when it came to plugging mine into their network. I've got two other laptops, both about '98 vintage, one running Suse 9.1 and the other running DSL 3.2, the first one I left in Tucson for a backup for my parents, the second is my backup here.

I don't use any design software, finding a pencil and notebook far preferable.

Dell with Windows XP. We use Macs and Solaris machines at work but I don't find an advantage at home. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    My main computer is one that I built and I installed Mandriva Linux on it. I have been using Mandriva, formally Mandrake, for about five or six years now and really like it. I use it ninety eight percent of the time. I have a back up HP Pavilion that has XP on it. I just started it up recently to put SketchUp and Cutlis Plus on it. That is probably all that I will use it for unless I find another app that I need that will not run on Linux.
    Allen, I used to use Mandrake, but about 3 years ago when I upgraded my home box I ran into problems with drivers and switched over to Ubuntu. Wow, I love it. This Linux is the closest to an "It Just Works" experience that I'd ever found.

ETA: oh yeah... and have you checked out CrossOver Linujx? For $60 it may just let you run those win apps under linux, so you won't need another box.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Jones View Post
    I have run PC based machines since my Atari ST bit the dust....
    Wow, another one! I had an Atari ST... oh 15-17 years ago... but I eventually realized that it (the company) was dieing and moved on.

As for now...

... at work I have a 20" iMac (pre-intel) on my desk. Love that big screen, and love that it is Unix underneath. Also have a 12" PowerBook G4 - great portability there for moving around the building when I need to remotely diagnose something.

... at home I have a generic whitebox AMD system running Ubuntu Linux. My wife who is NOT a geek is very happing with the Mac Mini I bought her almost 2 years ago. She lets me use it every now and then when I need to run SketchUp or Budget. Oh and I also brought home an ancient 5yr old Sony laptop that was no longer in use at work. It came with Win2000, and was dog-slow. But with Ubuntu on it, it 's performance is tolerable. It may see service as a kids tool, or just sit there as a backup system.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 05-08-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Have a Toshiba lap top, Verzion wireless, about a year now.
    Before that had a home brew that was in another room.

I will always have a lap top from now on. Love it!!!

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!