Share Your Garden

LOML has flowers and other ornamentals planted in front. Even our yucca is blooming this year...I'll have to get some pics to share later.

The veggie garden in back is my domain. Our back yards has two levels: the lawn, then a small orchard on a terrace below. In addition to a half dozen or so fruit trees, the previous owners built raised beds along the edge of the railroad tie retaining wall for veggies. This year's veggie garden (which will be planted this coming weekend) is going to be very small, since between the two of us we can't keep up with the output when things get going. (Neither one of us eats - or likes - enough veggies.) Last year I had three tomato plants and a couple of non-productive pepper plants. Since I'm the only tomato-eater in the house, I couldn't use all the tomatoes I grew, but was able to give away the excess to friends and neighbors. This year I'm planning the same number of tomato plants, plus I'm going to try pole beans, sugar snap peas, and carrots. Might also try some more peppers and see if I can do a better job with them. I'm also going to be planting giant sunflowers for the birds. That'll give the little suckers something crunchy to go with all the apples, plums, cherries, and peaches they'll be eating off the trees in the orchard. :rolleyes:

Ted, I like your trellis ideas. I think I might just have to try to incorporate some of them. :thumb:

Just finished fencing in our garden to keep our dogs out. Hope to get it planted this weekend. The fruit trees are already producing and the kids have been picking them.
fefa21599ad48adf65211ec2efe1495d.jpg
aa3639b776009215f4593cf7273881d9.jpg

My pond area. Lilies, water hyacinth, iris, and astilbe....

Beautiful pond, Jim. Looks peaceful and relaxing....worth all the work to keep it clean. My neighbor has one with some really pretty Koi. They had quite a time figuring out how to keep the shore birds from eating all the little ones. Finally ended up with a wire mesh cover just under the surface.

Dan that's going to be a great garden. I like the way you used angle iron? to make your planter corners and am so jealous of all the beautiful fruit!

Last edited:
My garden is in the front yard along side my neighbor's driveway.... Don't need to fence to keeps dogs out, but do need one to keep cows out.... neighbor next door's pastured runs down his driveway just past my garden and he only has a single wire electric fence to keep them in... the calves just ignore the wire and dip under it... I have cows in my front yard off and on all summer. Fortunately, they don't eat much.

Beautiful pond, Jim. Looks peaceful and relaxing....worth all the work to keep it clean. My neighbor has one with some really pretty Koi. They had quite a time figuring out how to keep the shore birds from eating all the little ones. Finally ended up with a wire mesh cover just under the surface...

My bird problem is Great Blue Herons. They try to feast on the small/medium sized fish. Any Koi under about 8" long is a likely victim.

Owls and raccoons sometimes diminish the frog population, too. The coons are actually more of a problem with the bird feeders than the pond, though.

Let me know when you do. I have my place totally fenced with "rabbit fence" covered with fine mesh deer fence and yesterday watched one gnaw through the deer fence and come through the largest size hole in the fence. Am now dreaming about one of these for rabbit and tree rat control.
https://www.rapidairweapons.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17751&cat=262&page=1
Now we talking....get some meat to go with the veg. Lol

Only problem is as a Canadian that airgun exceeds our max of 495fps. :(

Find it a odd regulation because either rate would still take your eye out.
And when i was a kid at 8 or 9 we prized ourselves on hotroding (if thats a word lol) our pellet guns by knocking out the pin in the rear and adding a tappet spring i on top of the mickey mouse spring they had. Aim was to achieve a gun that could fire a .177 pellet through a galvanised dustbin going through both sides back in day when galvanised garbage bin had more steel than the galvanizing coating not like the ones i see here. We battled to lift obingarbage can at 8 / 9 due to heavy duty construction.

Anyone know what muzzel velocity would be required to take out critters?

....Anyone know what muzzle velocity would be required to take out critters?

Really more a function of energy delivered accurately on target and where you hit the critter. @495 fps a .25 cal pellet weighing 25.29 grains carries 13.82+/- foot pounds of energy at the muzzle per this calculator: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Calcs/Energycalc.html . Here are postulated impact energy requirements for various critters: https://sites.google.com/site/valle...ergy-hunting-requirements-for-various-animals. This a nice discussion of the subject: http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_Hunting_April_2012/83. The best advise is to limit shooting to the range at which you can consistently hit an object the size of a quarter and go for head shots. If you can do that, the critters will DRT (dead right there).

Zombies breached the perimeter last night, above and below ground. One critter found the weak spot in the 8' deer fence and munched on the pole bean leaves Zombie Attack 011.jpg,
and other critters burrowed under the perimeter fence and started tunneling their way through the garden. I manage to trap five or more moles every spring and that seems to last for a couple of months, until more move into the territory from adjacent properties. Not having a dog, saturating the tunnel system with these spring traps works well.Zombie Attack 014.jpg

The small patio project has developed a bit of scope creep. Patio 036.jpg
I found a bunch of granite cobble stones from 22nd street in Norfolk on Craigslist for a great price @$1.50 each Patio 023.jpg, and then some granite paving stones being discontinued and on sale at a local stone dealer. The pavers are in 12"x12"x3", 12"x23"x3" and 18"x18"x3" format so I found I could incorporate standard solid clay brick pavers @ 4"x8"x2 1/4" into the design to stretch the size of the project.
Zombie Attack 008.jpg

I love this kind of job. You get to work up a sweat and it's just as much fun as playing with wood....and since I had to replace the deck stairs, there was some wood involved:D
Zombie Attack 004.jpgZombie Attack 006.jpg

Got some tomatoes in today (love summer-time BLTs). Will get some more plus other stuff in the next few weeks (bit of a late start this year). Last year was a bust. Planted a lot of stuff, did all of the right "organic" management, but got squat (not squash). Friends in California said the same thing. Not sure what was going on, out West.

We plan to keep it simple this year. All the basics. Nothing fancy that we wouldn't eat anyway :rofl:

Right on, Sharon! Summertime BLT's on toasted Tuscan farmer bread!!! It's not officially summer 'til you've eaten the first one.

On a different note, took this a few minutes ago. She was standing outside the deer fence staring at the pole beans. Probably casing the joint for a late night raid. I better go cover the beans up.
deer 001.jpg

Really more a function of energy delivered accurately on target and where you hit the critter. @495 fps a .25 cal pellet weighing 25.29 grains carries 13.82+/- foot pounds of energy at the muzzle per this calculator: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Calcs/Energycalc.html . Here are postulated impact energy requirements for various critters: https://sites.google.com/site/valle...ergy-hunting-requirements-for-various-animals. This a nice discussion of the subject: http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_Hunting_April_2012/83. The best advise is to limit shooting to the range at which you can consistently hit an object the size of a quarter and go for head shots. If you can do that, the critters will DRT (dead right there).

Around here, I just use my Ruger 1022. I use subsonic ammo just to reduce the power a bit. Works great on yellow bellied tomato snatchers and other rodents.

I have used my Sheridan .5mm pump air rifle before, but I like the ability of having multiple shots.

Tried using a C02 pellet rifle, but it's just not reliable enough. Just not enough power to really do the job unless you were really up close and personal.

Thanks Ted for all those links....went down several rabbit holes. Think i just need to get on and get my PAL licence and be done with it. Then from what i have seen i dont need to be concerned about a degraded rifle. And when i move to the country well i can change to .22 long on a lever action repeater.

Dunno. Need to find a gun shop other than bass pro.

But...Brent....to understand my thoughts and choice ya gotta remember the cowboys...:) . Its a bucket list item to have and fire a lever action rifle that does not use caps. Lol
Hey you guys indoctrinated me when i was a tiny tot what can i say. Lol

Ok went and looked and yeah we can get ruger at Cabelas.

But this is what i am dreaming of

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3075/henry-22-wmr-golden-boy-lever-action-rifle

Last edited:
That Henry Golden Boy is a sweet looking rifle, Rob. I've had one in my hands several times reaching for the wallet with the wife's blessing. It has a nice heft and a smooth action. IIRC what killed the purchase at the time was reading comments suggesting that the action is some sort of alloy and not real brass and doesn't wear well and that the action interferes with scope mounting. I still look at it once in a while hoping things have changed.