Share Your Garden

Well done Ted. In your area will those tunnels get you greens through winter?

Those turtles are interesting. Wonder if they the same sex or different. Never crossed my mind that turtles probably have some sort of "rut" to select who becomes the pro creator.
Is there water near you? Thanks for video.

Ted. That is a great looking garden. Soil looks like it could grow any thing. Given up on big garden. Just the two of us don't need that much produce anymore
David

Well done Ted. In your area will those tunnels get you greens through winter?

Those turtles are interesting. Wonder if they the same sex or different. Never crossed my mind that turtles probably have some sort of "rut" to select who becomes the pro creator.
Is there water near you? Thanks for video.

When we have a mild winter the collards and kale will overwinter...even without the tunnels. The tunnels should extend the lettuce, beet greens and Swiss chard, maybe enough to get them through the winter. In the spring the tunnels will be like cold frames and give me a jump on getting things started. I just have to keep an eye on them because they can get really hot unless I open the ends.

The turtles are not really water turtles, although we have water nearby. I think we intruded on their territory. The year the house was built (2006) I found one of them laying eggs in the sand under the deck next to the house and there has been at least one in the garden since then, sometimes more. We must be doing something they like for them to spend time with us instead of the acres of woods behind the house. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_box_turtle

Lots of things over-wintered under the low tunnels. Collards and Kale, beets, bunching onions, Swiss Chard. Now some of those are coming out and new plantings are going in. The sets are starting to appear at the big box stores. First tomatoes are in the ground ready to be covered up when we get that 'last frost', spinach, lacinata kale, and a new crop of curly leaf kale. Snow peas and sugar snap peas are already up and growing. Time for new beginnings.

IMG_3644.jpgBeet Greens, IMG_3651.jpgSwiss Chard, lettuce, dill, radishes, IMG_3645.jpgPeas, IMG_3669.jpgIMG_3670.jpggood eats!

I am totally jealous. I keep trying (and failing) to grow chives and green onions.

I'm going to have to put out some radish seeds this weekend.

On the plus side, I have a bunch of parsley growing, I just need to get them out of hte green house and into the ground!

Those are some good looking radishes! Ours have just barely sprouted.. The garlic and shallots are coming along nicely and the chives appear to be recovering some from being buried under feet of snow for months (thinner than they were..)

Ted, you're such an underachiever! :rofl:

I picked up a few seed packs and a couple of tomato plants last weekend, but nothing's in the ground yet. Maybe that'll happen next weekend if I'm feeling better by then.