Electrical Upgrades

Who among us hasn't done some hinky things with electrical hookup on one or more occasions? :whistling:

Looking at a brand-new box, ready for a few breakers and circuits, is a very satisfying thing. :thumb: Soon you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

It's a beautiful thing! :D

I wasn't sure what the inspector would be checking out, since the permit really only had the main panel replacement listed, but the shiny conduit running here and there were sufficient clues for him to check out other things, LOL.

The funny one is the huge subpanel at the other end of the house that I'm going to use for the pool. Now I KNOW that the conduit I'm running will not meet code, simply because it's not possible to dig that deep up here.

So He asked "What's this panel for?" I said, "Well, we thought it might be nice to put in a spa at this end of the house some day or something, and it's a bit over kill, but thought while we had the electricians out we should keep them busy".

He looked at the panel, the chunk of 2" conduit coming out of the ground under it, the pile of gravel across the driveway and said, "Uh Huh", and let it go.

LOL

Brent i am curious was this guy a inspector from the county or state or do you fall under a town. I still am amazed that there is an inspector for a property out in dessert. Would have thought population density would have made it economically hard to fund that level of authority .

I still am amazed that there is an inspector for a property out in dessert. Would have thought population density would have made it economically hard to fund that level of authority .

Welcome to the USA, where there are inspections for inspections and a fee for each one. If there was even one spot left like you envision, Rob, it soon would be populated as densely as NYC! JMHO. No political comment intended.

Brent i am curious was this guy a inspector from the county or state or do you fall under a town. I still am amazed that there is an inspector for a property out in dessert. Would have thought population density would have made it economically hard to fund that level of authority .

Washoe county and It's a BIG county, but we are actually close enough to reno that our address is Reno. They don't have guys driving around looking for things to inspect, it's just when you pull a permit or if someone complains about something. For example one guy in our neighborhood was putting up a 'barn' out of scrap wood. It was as much of an eyesore and fire trap as you can imagine and the other neighbors got that shut down.

I don't really have a problem with getting a permit and inspection on something like this project, as it's a pretty major project, and making sure it'd done right gives me the ability to sleep at night.

I'm pretty sure they send inspectors all over the county, even some of the more remote areas.

Since we live in the County, permits and inspections are "maybe - maybe not". When I built my shop addition - 20' x 24' concrete pad, then framing, electrical, etc. - I didn't pull a permit, nor did the concrete guy. I had an electrical guy run the 100A service from the side of my house to a panel in my shop and he didn't get a permit. I did all the shop wiring myself, so didn't need a permit.

A few years later, we hired a contractor to do a bathroom remodel for us. Since he's a licensed contractor, he took the time to pull a permit. The inspectors showed up one day when the project was about 75% done. They were looking around outside, then rang the doorbell. I showed them inside to see what was happening. They took a quick look around at the plumbing and electrical changes, thanked me and never came around again. They don't usual concern themselves with inside remodels.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

You are welcome, Brent :rofl:

It took me several years of trying to find an electrician to come out here. Most just didn't reply to my inquiries and others said they didn't service out here. I was driving home a few weeks ago and saw a van next to the Equestrian center. Pulled over, wrote down their business...and woo hoo, got someone to come out here. So glad to have this done.

If you can't tell...Brent is like a kid in a candy shop. Hot tub in my future :wave: