Thread: Do you know your gps coordinates?

Do you know your gps coordinates?

The inspector that came out the other day to check up on the electrical was a really nice guy.

While we were chatting and he was doing his job, we heard an ambulance running it's siren over on the highway. We got to talking about the helicopters that always fly over my house going up to pyramid lake in the summer because of all the boating accidents. Apparently he has some experience as being in the volunteer fire department in his area.

He mentioned he lives way out in the boonies too and that he actually had some trouble finding my house by the address. He asked if I knew my gps coordinates. I said I could find them, but probably not that fast in an emergency. Now we all can get that info from our phones, but I figured it might make sense to print it out, laminate it and put it on the fridge.

In an emergency, being this far from town, a heli could make a big difference in time in getting to the hospital. A few summers ago, I did see the care flight heli land at a neighbors property.

So, I guess this is a long winded way of saying that if you live in the boonies, it makes sense to have that information ready at hand.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Makes sense, here in Tokyo I most likely share GPS coordinates with a few people
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

41.133204N - 80.785769W
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 05-28-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

If I get lost, I just press "Home" on my Garmin.

In other words: 3050'44.4"N 8355'29.5"W
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I don't know mine

Just to let you know - the coordinates will show your exact location on Google Earth
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 05-29-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    If I get lost, I just press "Home" on my Garmin.
    Except I "lie" to my garmin and it think that home is at the park a 1/4km up the street.
    (Years ago we read the advice to not put your exact address in the GPS "home" setting, in case it is ever stolen. Maybe a bit silly but I've always followed that.)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Just to be clear, I'm not asking people to post your gps coordinates.

I'm suggesting that if you live way out in the boonies somewhere, you have it written down so that your wife, your kids, your visitors can find it if they need to in an emergency if the first responders request it. Depending on how far you are from a a hospital, the information could really save a lot of time.

I've got mine printed and laminated and stuck to the fridge.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks Brent, since mom and dad's driveway splits off of ours I think this would be good for both houses to have so they can go to the correct house the first time. Will be talking to mom about this tomorrow (dad wouldn't know at all what I was asking about!) And if you don't believe me, ask anyone from the Family Gathering from last year, mom is the techie, dad definitely not.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Thanks Brent, since mom and dad's driveway splits off of ours I think this would be good for both houses to have so they can go to the correct house the first time. Will be talking to mom about this tomorrow (dad wouldn't know at all what I was asking about!) And if you don't believe me, ask anyone from the Family Gathering from last year, mom is the techie, dad definitely not.
    Your GPS coordinates might have helped me coming to your house, after my GPS told me I had reached my destination and I was sitting between two cornfields.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

After you have been here, it is hard to imagine not being between at least two cornfields all the time isn't it!!!!!!!!!????????
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING