Do you know your gps coordinates?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
The inspector that came out the other day to check up on the electrical was a really nice guy.

While we were chatting and he was doing his job, we heard an ambulance running it's siren over on the highway. We got to talking about the helicopters that always fly over my house going up to pyramid lake in the summer because of all the boating accidents. Apparently he has some experience as being in the volunteer fire department in his area.

He mentioned he lives way out in the boonies too and that he actually had some trouble finding my house by the address. He asked if I knew my gps coordinates. I said I could find them, but probably not that fast in an emergency. Now we all can get that info from our phones, but I figured it might make sense to print it out, laminate it and put it on the fridge.

In an emergency, being this far from town, a heli could make a big difference in time in getting to the hospital. A few summers ago, I did see the care flight heli land at a neighbors property.

So, I guess this is a long winded way of saying that if you live in the boonies, it makes sense to have that information ready at hand.

If I get lost, I just press "Home" on my Garmin. ;)

Except I "lie" to my garmin and it think that home is at the park a 1/4km up the street.
(Years ago we read the advice to not put your exact address in the GPS "home" setting, in case it is ever stolen. Maybe a bit silly but I've always followed that.)

Just to be clear, I'm not asking people to post your gps coordinates.

I'm suggesting that if you live way out in the boonies somewhere, you have it written down so that your wife, your kids, your visitors can find it if they need to in an emergency if the first responders request it. Depending on how far you are from a a hospital, the information could really save a lot of time.

I've got mine printed and laminated and stuck to the fridge.

Thanks Brent, since mom and dad's driveway splits off of ours I think this would be good for both houses to have so they can go to the correct house the first time. Will be talking to mom about this tomorrow (dad wouldn't know at all what I was asking about!:rofl:) And if you don't believe me, ask anyone from the Family Gathering from last year, mom is the techie, dad definitely not.

Thanks Brent, since mom and dad's driveway splits off of ours I think this would be good for both houses to have so they can go to the correct house the first time. Will be talking to mom about this tomorrow (dad wouldn't know at all what I was asking about!:rofl:) And if you don't believe me, ask anyone from the Family Gathering from last year, mom is the techie, dad definitely not.

Your GPS coordinates might have helped me coming to your house, after my GPS told me I had reached my destination and I was sitting between two cornfields. ;)