Broke in the blasting cabinet

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up the elbow I needed for hooking up the regulator on the blasting cabinet. So I looked around for the first victim. First item I found was an old Dunlap plane I picked up at a garage sale year ago. It has some deep pitting on one side and a little on the sole on that side as well. Then someone painted the frog green with latex over the original red. It also had some minor rust pitting on the breaker and blade.
2016-05-28 17.24.22.jpg

Here's a video of the frog being stripped...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBWssfBQx-E

I was quite amazed at how quickly and how well the cabinet works. No dust escaped and seems to be sealed pretty well. I had siliconed a few areas but they seemed to have improved the placement of the gasket material as other reviews didn't talk highly of it for that reason.

So the first pic is the plane body, can see that all the rust was removed from the pits, though I see a couple of touch-ups could be done. I only did the sides and bottom as the japanning seems to be pretty intact on the inside of the body. I'm not sure what I'll do with the pitting, but just oiled the metal for now to keep it from rusting again. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
2016-05-28 17.45.52.jpg

The frog stripped down pretty well, it's since been shot with primer and paint.
2016-05-28 17.45.58.jpg 2016-05-28 17.46.05.jpg

I stripped all but the business end of the blade, but can see the stampings on the back and they still have great detail.
2016-05-28 17.46.08.jpg2016-05-28 17.46.13.jpg

Boy that looks way to easy! :thumb:

For the pits I'd treat them with a rust inhibitor and just ignore them past that. They're a bit ugly but shouldn't hurt the functionality to much.

Thanks Ryan. Yeah Brent it was surprisingly quick. I was using HF's glass bead, which is labeled 80 grit. Looking at some conversion charts that puts it at #7 to #9 glass bead size. I've got some #13 beads on order that will come this week, which are in the 170 - 325 grit range, which should leave a little more sheen than the 80 grit.

Nope, not yet, but plan to. My larger shop vac has the bags in it and a hepa filter, so should suffice until I get another DD ordered. I got the 3" wall vent today to hook my shopvac output to.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The finished product, did a little minwax paste on the bare parts. I needed to replace the front handle's screw, I didn't have another round head the same length, so improvised.

2016-05-30 11.51.38.jpg 2016-05-30 11.52.09.jpg

Looks great Darren! :thumb: I don't remember if you have Menards down your way, but they now stock the DD. At least they doe here in Des Moines.

Looks great Darren! :thumb: I don't remember if you have Menards down your way, but they now stock the DD. At least they doe here in Des Moines.

They are actually building one a few miles from me now. I've already ordered one from Amazon, could have got it a few bucks cheaper shipping one to Ace, but took several weeks to get the last one and would have spent more in gas going to get it. I already put another bucket lid on the cnc and milled out the holes for it too.

I got the #13 bead in tonight, will load some up this weekend and give it a try to see how the finished parts look. Currently they are coming out with a satin finish that has some "grit" feel to them, hoping this will have a little more sheen to it. If I was to compare it with the #7 I have in the the cabinet now, the #7 is like cane sugar, maybe a little larger, #13 isn't quite as fine as powdered sugar, but almost, pretty fine.
2016-05-31 21.59.28.jpg

Ordered from: http://www.ebay.com/usr/tacomacompany

I also need to experiment with different pressures to see what works best. Currently I'm running the gun at about 60psi, many folks say they are running about half that.