Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really...Gray!???

Really...Gray!???

According to Google, the must searched spellings by state. I really wonder about the education in some states.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spelling Errors.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	96010
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    According to Google, the must searched spellings by state. I really wonder about the education in some states.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spelling Errors.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	96010
    must? Or most? At least your state can't spell Pneumonia either.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    must? Or most? At least your state can't spell Pneumonia either.
    Moist?
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Well it definitely gives you an idea of which states you want to be careful eating in restaurants at (looking at you New Mexico).
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Well it definitely gives you an idea of which states you want to be careful eating in restaurants at (looking at you New Mexico).
    Don't you mean Arizona?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Don't you mean Arizona?
    Indeed, my eyes must be failing me!
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Look on the bright side, they looked it up. Lol
    cheers

Being english a learnt language for me and not knowing how is english language and grammar taught in US I cannot opinate, but in defence (UK) or defense (US) of those who misspelled "croissant" I should say that it is a french name, that I've seen written here in my country in many different ways such as "crusan" "crosant" "crosan" and others. I am sure that you could find many misspelling errors in my posts.

If we want to take the discussion further, I remember seeing on TV president Bush JR on a visit to a school made a child to correct "potatoes" by "potatos" when potatoes is the correct ¿UK?way and potatos is the ¿US? accepted way. No pun intended here. Spanish presidents also make that sort of mistakes or even worse ones.

On the other hand on those states that misspelled desert; I wonder if the word they had to spell was desert ( dry and arid land) or dessert (piece of cake or fruit eaten at the end of a meal). I always had problems spelling Mississippi, until I remembered that all "s" and "p" should be double.

Apart from what we learn at school, IMHO the only way of writing and spelling words correctly is by reading a lot, no matter if they are novels, essays or whatsoever, so when you write it wrong an alarm rings in your brain. One feels that there is something odd in that word even if one is not sure how to write it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

The correct Brit and Canadian spelling of the colour between black and white, is "grey." What you do in your bed is "lie" and you "have lain" in your bed for a week, or "lay" in your bed all day. More and more Canadians are saying, "I'm going to lay in my bed," even though lay is a transitive verb and means either to place something down, or to have sex with it. Loose bowels have "diarrhoea" and televisions have "programmes." Your shrink is a "counsellor." Get with it, America!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

And all these years I thought "grey" was what was being referred to as an extraterrestrial alien. Never saw it spelled "gray" when referring to them critters. Just "grey". Haven't you heard to the quote, "I don't want to be reincarnated and find the world run by little grey men"??? Geeeezzzz. I thought everybody knew that. Shame on me.
    Last edited by Dave Hoskins; 06-07-2016 at 12:23 AM.