Really...Gray!???

Being english a learnt language for me and not knowing how is english language and grammar taught in US I cannot opinate, but in defence (UK) or defense (US) of those who misspelled "croissant" I should say that it is a french name, that I've seen written here in my country in many different ways such as "crusan" "crosant" "crosan" and others. I am sure that you could find many misspelling errors in my posts.

If we want to take the discussion further, I remember seeing on TV president Bush JR on a visit to a school made a child to correct "potatoes" by "potatos" when potatoes is the correct ¿UK?way and potatos is the ¿US? accepted way. No pun intended here. Spanish presidents also make that sort of mistakes or even worse ones.

On the other hand on those states that misspelled desert; I wonder if the word they had to spell was desert ( dry and arid land) or dessert (piece of cake or fruit eaten at the end of a meal). I always had problems spelling Mississippi, until I remembered that all "s" and "p" should be double.

Apart from what we learn at school, IMHO the only way of writing and spelling words correctly is by reading a lot, no matter if they are novels, essays or whatsoever, so when you write it wrong an alarm rings in your brain. One feels that there is something odd in that word even if one is not sure how to write it.

The correct Brit and Canadian spelling of the colour between black and white, is "grey." What you do in your bed is "lie" and you "have lain" in your bed for a week, or "lay" in your bed all day. More and more Canadians are saying, "I'm going to lay in my bed," even though lay is a transitive verb and means either to place something down, or to have sex with it. Loose bowels have "diarrhoea" and televisions have "programmes." Your shrink is a "counsellor." Get with it, America!

And all these years I thought "grey" was what was being referred to as an extraterrestrial alien. Never saw it spelled "gray" when referring to them critters. Just "grey". Haven't you heard to the quote, "I don't want to be reincarnated and find the world run by little grey men"??? Geeeezzzz. I thought everybody knew that. Shame on me. :rofl:

Last edited:
The correct Brit and Canadian spelling of the colour between black and white, is "grey." What you do in your bed is "lie" and you "have lain" in your bed for a week, or "lay" in your bed all day. More and more Canadians are saying, "I'm going to lay in my bed," even though lay is a transitive verb and means either to place something down, or to have sex with it. Loose bowels have "diarrhoea" and televisions have "programmes." Your shrink is a "counsellor." Get with it, America!

I must be either a Brit or Canadian, and here all these years I thought I was a Texas... I have always written the word as "grey" .... usually have to go back and correct most of my writing.... also tend to spell word color as "colour" and for last two years of high school, I worked in a "theatre" (movie house)... but in the whole of it, after 12 whole years of school with spelling as a curriculum, I do relatively well with my spelling, though I do rely on spell checkers any more to keep me correct...

I must be either a Brit or Canadian, and here all these years I thought I was a Texas... I have always written the word as "grey" .... usually have to go back and correct most of my writing.... also tend to spell word color as "colour" and for last two years of high school, I worked in a "theatre" (movie house)... but in the whole of it, after 12 whole years of school with spelling as a curriculum, I do relatively well with my spelling, though I do rely on spell checkers any more to keep me correct...

I'm glad you do! Use those spellings, that is. My spell checker is obviously American as it marks theatre, centre, harbour etc., grey, woollen, counsellor, and many others as incorrect. I know better. IF in doubt, I just ask Her Majesty, after all, it's her language.

They say as far as languages go, you have English, then you have American. Two peoples separated by a common language. We took the English language and modified it for our purposes. And, I don't care where you are from,"grey" is one of them thar critters from the sky! Oh, I forgot to mention. Us Texans modified the languages even further for our purposes. :rofl: