Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lest we forget.

Lest we forget.

Well i cannot say Happy Memorial Day because i think it should be a somber occasion.

Nothing quite like the rows of headstones to remind us all.

Spare a moment to be great full and thankful for all those who serve and especially those who passed doing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464614074128.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	96016
    cheers

Thank you to those that have served and to those that are serving.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thank you to anyone who has served. Thoughts and prayers to those who lost someone. The cost of freedom is not cheap

Certainly is the day to remember all those who make our life possible in this country. We would honor them even more if we worked harder at getting along with each other. Peace seems to be harder than war for some reason.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    What today means to me..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Amen.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Maybe I am a stick in the mud, or maybe I am just too much of a traditionalist or something. Memorial Day to me is supposed to be a day or remembrance and reflection for our fallen in service to this country. But instead what do I see for the biggest part? People who just can't wait to have an excuse to get a bunch of beer and so on so they can go have a big party, get drunk, and not even think of what the day really is. Sorry, but to me it's rather disgusting. Too many Americans take everything for granted. But, maybe it's just me. And, if it is just me then this old gundog apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoskins View Post
    Maybe I am a stick in the mud, or maybe I am just too much of a traditionalist or something. Memorial Day to me is supposed to be a day or remembrance and reflection for our fallen in service to this country. But instead what do I see for the biggest part? People who just can't wait to have an excuse to get a bunch of beer and so on so they can go have a big party, get drunk, and not even think of what the day really is. Sorry, but to me it's rather disgusting. Too many Americans take everything for granted. But, maybe it's just me. And, if it is just me then this old gundog apologizes.
    I Agree with you, Dave. What was supposed to be a day of reflection and respect has turned into just another excuse for a party.

Too many of my friends and former associates paid the ultimate price.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I am more philosophical these days about this kind of thing.
    i think its something individuals have to work through but too few give any issues other than themselves much thought.

i recall my first visit to a German concentration camp. .Man i was only 19 or so and had just come out the army and it disturbed me. Part of me could not fathom how one human inflicted such suffering on another.

Then around 10 years later i visited Auschwitz and i have yet to get over that visit.

i remember wrestling with myself over whether i felt it was appropriate to bring kids at around 15 to visit the site which is what Israeli schools were doing. I went from pillar to post in my thoughts.

Then i witnessed what had been going on in my own country under my nose via the "truth and reconciliation commission" held in SA after a change of power and that sorted me out.

I concluded its in our make up to be seriously nasty critters.

So when one I accepted that (dont like it but the evidence is all around us) then if you never played a part in realising how nasty we can be. Mostly those who get to serve in some way shape or form get to see it, those who do never forget those that either have to guard us from it always or those we lost in the past guarding us from others nasty behaviour.
    Robert McNamara had a way of saying this in his interview during the documentary made about his time.
    He said something to the effect of ... Sometimes in order to do good, one had to engage in doing evil.
    well i dunno about that but dropping a nuke on Japan was a little like that analogy.

Its not suprising to me that humanity does not remember the vetrans and serving members, too few serve with a volunteer force in most parts of the world these days so too few are touched by the consequences and seeing war on tv is like the abstractness of a video game, until you personally come face to face with it.

So one might forgive those that know no better.
    Lets rather hope we can keep conflicts to the level they have been since 1945.

thats my two cents.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...Lets rather hope we can keep conflicts to the level they have been since 1945.
    Actually, the U.S. has had two significant war/police actions since 1945, plus the currently ongoing one. It just never seems to end.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!