Business Idea for you guys - portable bonfire.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this on amazon.com

A portable bonfire for only 80 bucks!

51RzBRC-QvL.jpg

So, Go out to your firewood stash, take a nice chunk, square it up and drill a couple of holes.

you've now got a combustible rocket stove.

Rocket-Stove.jpg

Make up a bunch of these and sell them at your next craft fair

I'm not sure how portable it is once you get it lit, but there you go!

So, I think you guys are missing the point.

They are selling a chunk of firewood for 80$ with 2 holes in it and a little logo branded on it.....

It's a cool idea, but anyone with a cordless drill and a spade bit could whip one up in 45 seconds.

I seriously think some of you guys that do the craft shows could whip these things up and sell them. Maybe not for 80 bucks, but still for something.

Last edited:
Wasn't missing the point, just offering up another idear to expand upon them. ;) :wave: Improving upon an innovation is less looked upon as infringement also. :)

It could make a cool little camp stove, but still, they are selling a chunk of wood with 2 intersecting holes for 80$.....

Still, to Darrens point, bit would be fun to make a couple and take camping. Would be interesting to see how well they actually work.

There might be something to that, Brent. In it's simplicity it probably works fine. I think before I did some to take to sell, I would make one for myself and try it out. Check it out for safety problems and the like. After all, if you sell it, and someone burns themselves bad in world of lawyers you probably will be liable. You do know what you have if you get rid of 1/2 the lawyers don't you? A good start.

I saw this "fire starter" at Home Depot yesterday >>>LINK<<< About the same thing, but only $11...and I thought it was over priced even with the built in rope handle!

Attachments

• ee905991-615a-4de0-b752-833769ef3bb8_400.jpg
    ee905991-615a-4de0-b752-833769ef3bb8_400.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 30
That's hilarious Jeff.

I actually do want to give one of these a try. I wonder how fast it could bring a pot of water to a boil.

That's hilarious Jeff.

I actually do want to give one of these a try. I wonder how fast it could bring a pot of water to a boil.

If its like a rocket stove.. it probably depends on the size of the pot :rofl:

Seriously though those are pretty fast for small pots.

You'll also want to figure out a cheap <thing> to bundle in as a firestarter. The Original link was using a piece of pitchwood ("fatwood") but I suspect a bit of wax drizzled into the hole or a chunk of one of those starter logs would work about as well (although maybe a bit more expensive).

I've made little wax firestarters for the bbq from paraffin wax and wood shavings. I'd think a little wax and shavings in the hole, and a piece of wax soaked string as a wick would work.

I saw something like this years ago in a Scout publication. It was called the 'sawdust stove.' It was made by taking a large can, drilling four holes near the bottom, and putting a largish dowel down the centre, and four smaller dowels from the side to the centre dowel at the bottom. You fill it with sawdust and shavings, tamp it down so it's firm, remove the dowels and drop a piece of burning newspaper down the centre hole. Heat control is achieved by blocking or opening the side holes. I often think of that design when I look at my shop vac full of sawdust, but I never got around to making one. There's time yet. It would cost less than $110 Canadian, too.

Gee---We used to take a tomato can and punch 4 holes in the side, near the bottom, using a beer can opener. Put some brickettes inside of the can with a few drops of lighter fluid, add a match, wait a couple minutes, use pliers to pull the can away and you are ready to Bar-B-Q. Man, that process started some really great outdoor meals.

Enjoy,
JimB