Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinge help needed

Hinge help needed

Being out of my league here I need some help with hinges for a small box. From what I've seen, most overlay or similar type hinges are designed for 3/4" material. I have 1/2" material on a frameless box. I need a hinge for my situation and can't find it (see link to sketch). Does the hinge in my sketch exist and if so where do I go to get it? Thanks for your help!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet hinge.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	96066

Kansas City, Missouri
    They make that style, but most are 3/4 to 3/4 material, so you may have to do a 1/4" shim or drill a few new holes in the hinge where needed.*entries*=0

Google "Box Lid Hinge" or "lid hinge" for more results.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thank you sir...hadn't thought about a shim.

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    I'm no help but to the Family Brad and if no one has told ya yet we like PICTURES...........
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Welcome to family Brad, hope you enjoy your stay. You can get incredible help here and ask all the questions you like. I did and still do and never cease to be amazed at the help.

Reno NV
    Gotta say, That's a nice picture you drew. Made it very clear what the issue was.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

ABQ NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Gotta say, That's a nice picture you drew. Made it very clear what the issue was.
    I came here to say the same thing. (Well, that, and to suggest a shim, too.) That's either some professional-level drafting, or a really cool SketchUp plugin.

Welcome to the forum, Brad.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

LOL! No, that's just an engineering pad. I wasn't at home so it was quicker to draw a sketch. I'm an engineer but love to play with wood. I'm just not good or fast enough at it to make a living out of it. Thanks for all your help!

Yorktown, Virginia
    Welcome and glad you found us, Brad. That looks like quite a substantial hinge for a 1/2" material box. I wonder if some small butt hinges would do the job just as well. These Brusso's are very pricey but IMHO worth it for a special box. There are probably similar, less expensive ones out there too.

Those are nice hinges, thanks Ted