Hinge help needed

Brad Means

Being out of my league here I need some help with hinges for a small box. From what I've seen, most overlay or similar type hinges are designed for 3/4" material. I have 1/2" material on a frameless box. I need a hinge for my situation and can't find it (see link to sketch). Does the hinge in my sketch exist and if so where do I go to get it? Thanks for your help!!

cabinet hinge.jpg

Welcome to family Brad, hope you enjoy your stay. You can get incredible help here and ask all the questions you like. I did and still do and never cease to be amazed at the help.

Gotta say, That's a nice picture you drew. Made it very clear what the issue was.

I came here to say the same thing. (Well, that, and to suggest a shim, too.) That's either some professional-level drafting, or a really cool SketchUp plugin. :D

Welcome to the forum, Brad. :wave:

LOL! No, that's just an engineering pad. I wasn't at home so it was quicker to draw a sketch. I'm an engineer but love to play with wood. I'm just not good or fast enough at it to make a living out of it. Thanks for all your help! :thumb:

Being out of my league here I need some help with hinges for a small box. From what I've seen, most overlay or similar type hinges are designed for 3/4" material. I have 1/2" material on a frameless box. I need a hinge for my situation and can't find it (see link to sketch). Does the hinge in my sketch exist and if so where do I go to get it? Thanks for your help!!

Hinges have always given me fits... so understand your frustration, but without knowing what the box is for, would not it serve better to put a small piano type hinge on the back side where the lid joins the top... that would allow the lit to fit directly to the top edge of the box.